Hi there

HF Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, I am a new photographer just starting a business/hobby of maternity, birth, babies and children and really need some help in most aspects. I have studies photography but it was 5 years ago so at the moment I am trying to remember everything (although I do take a LOT of photos). I am at the moment trying to start a portfolio but I need help on the whole business side of things not to mention if my photos are even good enough!!! anyway, I look forward to "meeting" you all and hope you can give me some advice/inspiration :)

Well, here's the thing. A big trend that you see around here, and in the photography field in general, are people who buy their first DLSR, take some decent snapshots, and instantly want to open their own photography studio and start charging people money. They then post on a board such as TPF with the same post, which essentially goes like this:

"Hi. I just bought a DSLR. I only know how to shoot in auto. I don't know any of the settings on my camera. I don't own a flash, and I wouldn't know how to use one if I did. I own one lens, and it's the one that came with my camera. I think I'm ready to call myself a professional photographer and start charging people money. Can you give me tips on how I can degrade your profession with my snapshots and undercut your pricing so I can steal business from you?"

There's nothing wrong with wanting to open your own photography business, even if you've been shooting for a couple of months. But YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, and your photos have to reflect that. You should start by reading your camera's manual and getting off the auto setting. Pick up some good learning materials ("understanding exposure" by Brian Peterson is the standard start, attend some seminars - One Light, Nikon, etc.) Spend the next year or two at a minimum improving yourself before you even THINK of charging people money. If you don't, you will be marked forever with a reputation for poor quality, and your business will be irrevocably doomed.

My advice would be to change your screen name, sign up again with the mindset that you're a hobbyist looking to learn as much as you can to improve your skills. Then spend the next couple of months reading and observing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back