Hi, TPF people :)

steelgrass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. Can you help me? My name is Jan. I have a plan to be a wedding/debut photographer, since we had a wedding shop (we also cater different occasions like debut, etc.) I have so many questions. I hope you can help me and bare with my English skills. I join this community because I believe that they're many people here willing to help me and find new friends also. Btw, I'm from the Philippines. So here are my questions :)

1.) Is Nikon D7000 with 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 is enough to cover events?
2.) Can you give me tips on how to properly point and shoot, because I think photography is not just easy as point and shoot. You need to have a story or drama in your photos.
3.) I bough a 5-1 reflector. Although I have a little idea on how to use it but I believe I need to learn more.
4.) Is Nikon SB-700 enough for my Nikon D7000?
5.) Can you give me tips on which lens should I buy? I prefer the cheap ones since I'm just starting.

Hi Jan, and welcome to TPF! :) Yes, you have come to the right place, as we have many experienced photographers here, some pros as well as other beginners like yourself who want to learn.

When you say you had a "wedding shop", do you mean you sold wedding/bridal items? Can you clarify?

As much as I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money as a beginner, remember you want professional results, so going cheap is not always the best way to go.

Welcome to the site. There is a lot of information here about weddings. Equipement that you'll need, The business of wedding photography and just about anything else.

Hi Jan!

Here are my responses to your questions:

A: The D7000 is pretty good in low light situations but your lens might not be. A lot of places don't allow flash during ceremonies and a really fast lens (at least 2.8) can really save you in those situations.

2.) Can you give me tips on how to properly point and shoot, because I think photography is not just easy as point and shoot. You need to have a story or drama in your photos.
A: You can try using aperture or shutter priority if you are not comfortable shooting manually. I prefer manual because typically the lighting won't change during a ceremony or reception so once you have everything set, you are good to go.

3.) I bough a 5-1 reflector. Although I have a little idea on how to use it but I believe I need to learn more.
A: 5 in 1 reflectors are great. I like to do outdoor portraits of the bride and groom and I will have the sun behind them backlighting them while I use the white/silver side of the reflector to full in their faces. I also really like to use it as a diffusion panel when I'm getting too much light on my subjects. The black side can be good for reducing shadows giving you more contrast and drama.

A: I haven't used the SB-700 but from what I have heard it's a great flash but not quite as powerful as the SB-800 or SB-900/910. It should be fine for most situations but when using it at full power make sure you have plenty of fresh batteries or a power pack for it.

5.) Can you give me tips on which lens should I buy? I prefer the cheap ones since I'm just starting.
If you can't afford expensive lenses (like most of us!) I would HIGHLY recommend getting a few fast prime lenses. I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens that only cost me a couple hundred dollars. You can also get a 85mm 1.8 for around $500. Those lenses will get you much better photos than your 18-105mm.

I hope this helps you at least a little bit. Good luck!

Hi Jan, and welcome to TPF! :) Yes, you have come to the right place, as we have many experienced photographers here, some pros as well as other beginners like yourself who want to learn.

When you say you had a "wedding shop", do you mean you sold wedding/bridal items? Can you clarify?

As much as I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money as a beginner, remember you want professional results, so going cheap is not always the best way to go.

Hi sir Terri, first of all thank you for the warm welcome :) yes sir, we have a wedding shop. We sell, sew, rent all kinds of gowns, suits, tuxedo, cocktails. Sorry if I say "cheap" because most of the Filipinos choose cheaper than the expensive ones :) Sorry for my Bad English, sir.

Welcome to the site. There is a lot of information here about weddings. Equipement that you'll need, The business of wedding photography and just about anything else.

Thanks, sir ronlane. :)

Hi Jan!

Here are my responses to your questions:

A: The D7000 is pretty good in low light situations but your lens might not be. A lot of places don't allow flash during ceremonies and a really fast lens (at least 2.8) can really save you in those situations.

A: You can try using aperture or shutter priority if you are not comfortable shooting manually. I prefer manual because typically the lighting won't change during a ceremony or reception so once you have everything set, you are good to go.

A: 5 in 1 reflectors are great. I like to do outdoor portraits of the bride and groom and I will have the sun behind them backlighting them while I use the white/silver side of the reflector to full in their faces. I also really like to use it as a diffusion panel when I'm getting too much light on my subjects. The black side can be good for reducing shadows giving you more contrast and drama.

A: I haven't used the SB-700 but from what I have heard it's a great flash but not quite as powerful as the SB-800 or SB-900/910. It should be fine for most situations but when using it at full power make sure you have plenty of fresh batteries or a power pack for it.

If you can't afford expensive lenses (like most of us!) I would HIGHLY recommend getting a few fast prime lenses. I have a Nikon 50mm 1.8 lens that only cost me a couple hundred dollars. You can also get a 85mm 1.8 for around $500. Those lenses will get you much better photos than your 18-105mm.

I hope this helps you at least a little bit. Good luck!

Wow. Thanks, sir Blyphoto for taking time to reply on my post. I appreciate it, sir. :) I found a Nikkor 50mm 1.8D and it cost more about Php5,000 ($115) I don't have enough idea on what lenses to buy because I have a hard time choosing the right lens. Since I'm just starting I just want to start from the ground like buying just one lens only.

Sorry if I posted it on the wrong section. :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back