Hi TPF

houghcon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! Im a 16 year old high school student from Wisconsin. For Christmas i got a Sony dslr 300k with a 18-70mm zoom and a 75-300mm zoom lens. I started taking pictures and now im addicted to it. Here are some pictures ive taken over the last few days. Please critizis my pics so i can learn from my mistakes and become better.
squrirlepic.jpg

spritecomic

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00295.jpg

DSC00289.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Your photos have the typical problem that occurs when shooting snow...they turn out underexposed.

The problem is that the camera meters (measures) the scene and sees a lot of brightness (snow). The camera doesn't know that it's snow...only that it's really bright, so it gives you settings that make everything too dark.

To 'out smart' the camera, you need to adjust the exposure when shooting a scene like this. When the scene is bright (snow) you need to add exposure. Check your manual for how to adjust the EC (exposure compensation).

Also, since this is digital, you can see your results and adjust the settings then shoot again. It's often a good idea to try several different exposure settings and see what you like best.

I suggest using the histogram display to figure out what exposure to use.
Check out these articles
Understanding Histograms
Expose Right

Welcome to TPF.

Wow, I love the histogram article. I was just telling my husband I had no idea about it. One comes up in my D90 LCD. Even though I'm not sure how to adjust for it yet at least I can start to look and gain understanding.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back