Hi

swoosh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I've been checking this forum out for about a week now and finally decided to register. I have always been interested in photography, but never actually did anything with that interest. I have never owned a camera in my life, but have taken many pictures with either family or friends' cameras or my smart-phone. Skip to the point, I am finally seriously interested in buying my first camera. I have done a lot of research over the last week, but still have not found the right camera for me. I was hoping you guys (and girls) could help me out. Ultimately, I want a camera that produces good quality images but that's not all of course. I'd like one with interchangeable lenses because over time I would like to add to my collection. I'll be taking pictures at sporting events, but I'd like a versatile everyday camera. I would like a compact camera, but I realize that sometimes you have to make a sacrifice in order to get a better quality camera and that is one I am willing to make.

A few cameras that I have seen and liked:
- Leica cameras (cheapest ones)
- Fuji X100
- Nikon D3100
- Cannon Rebel Series
- Pentax K-01

To me, looks is very important. I am really in love with the compact, vintage looking cameras such as the Fuji X100 and Leica cameras.

My price range is anywhere from $300 to $1,000. I say $1,000 because that is the most I will consider. More than likely, however, I will not be buying a camera for that much. Ideally, I'd like to be around $500.

Any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to TPF! :thumbup:

Ultimately, I want a camera that produces good quality images...
Image quality is ultimately about the photographer's knowledge and skill.

For a start learning the basic photography concepts and terminology you can visit - Digital Photography Tutorials

For guidance selecting a camera you might visit - How to Choose a DSLR Camera

I have the Canon T3i and am looking to upgrade to the 7D for the FPS, better noise performance, buttons and their layout, and magnesium alloy body. If you don't care much for that, then get the T2i or T3i. Personally I believe the T4i is a waste of money but that's just me.

Oh and I realize that the 7D isn't in the rebel series, but as prices go down you may be able to get a good used one close to $1k, then I'd recommend getting a nifty fifty after that.

It's just a matter of your preferences. As always, I recommend Canon because some of their cameras like the ones I've mentioned are compatable with Magic Lantern firmware which you may be interested in if you start to feel limited with the controls. Google it, it will explain everything about it to you. I use it and love it!

Welcome aboard. It's hard to go wrong with any of the choices from Canon or Nikon. Cameras are just tools, the exact model or brand doesn't really matter all that much if you know how to use it.

I started out with a Canon Rebel T2i and I loved that camera. As I continued to grow, instead of upgrading my camera body first, I put most of my money into my lenses. I would highly recommend the Rebel series.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back