high key photography

perryfletcher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cheapvacationsforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other day I did a high key photo. I turned off my lamps that lit up my back drop and took pictures with just my main lamps. I saved my camera settings and then lit up my back drop. The picture turned out great. Exactly what I wanted. I thought. One of my friends at work brought in some new pictures of his kids he had taken at Wal-Mart. They were high key and looked perfect. They were better than mine. The kids and clothes looked perfect in color. They were so much better than my pics. I hang my head in shame and ask you all what did I do wrong or not do?

Can you post some?

never mind I think I have it lets see if this works.
IMG_4401HDR2copysmaller.jpg

His shirt is browner than that.

Just a little curves and levels adjustment here, is this any better? -Shea

perry-hikey-curve_IMG_4401.jpg
The clothes are better but the face is too dark. ofcourse I could mask that out. But I am trying to be able to take a clean picture that does not need any post production work.

I would say if you want a better high key look, have a much more even lighting ratio. There's a ton of contrast in that picture. Also, it would help a ton to have him wearing lighter colors. What kind of lights, modifiers, ratios and so forth are you using? The light looks pretty hard, and the highlight/shadows transfer areas are pretty sharp. High key usually looks better with softer light.

In order to do something like that, you've really got to have strobes. It's possible with lamps, etc, but if you want to do it without having to do a lot of editing, some off camera flashes/strobes are the best way to do it.

Then what's with all the airbrushing/retouching?
Someone asked for a sample. I did not keep the raw image. They take up too much room on my computer so I gave what I had from the photo. I want a clean high key photo that I do not have to do anything to make it look like I had to do adjustments to make it high key. I will be doing post production to the picture to give it my own style. I just want a clean high key portriate that does not need any touch up on its own. There always has to be one on every post.

If you check out Strobist (I'm not sure of the site, but with that name you should be able to find it) for some tips on DIY lighting techniques, or you can check out something like Alien Bees, which are relatively inexpensive high-grade strobes, if you are willing to be a bit more spendy.

Most reactions

Back