High key?

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, so I was going to post this in the High Key weekly assignment, but I saw the new rules and regs, so I decided that I had better just start a new thread.

As those following the haiku thread are aware, I flew to St Louis and drove to Wisconsin with the Girl to have Thanksgiving with her family. For those geographicaly challenged like me, it's about a 6.5 hour drive throught the flats of Illinois. So, I took a bunch of pics (I will probably post some others later). I took this one, and chalked it up to Jocose f'ing up. BUT, after looking at the High Key assignment, and the wonderful job LaFoto did with her beautiful daughter, I looked again and reconsidered.

Anyway, those of you well versed in the fine art of high key, can you tell me if this counts?

Thanks for looking

me.jpg

I am afraid i am not versed in high key at all, but do have a question, i thought that hi key was stretching the exposure and development to get as many details in the lighter areas of the image, so as the white areas are not burnt out but have a greater number of shades of grey at expence of the darker (les important in a light picture) areas of the photo? Here it seems that it is the other way round and you have burnt out all the light areas and have more detail in the darker areas, isnt that low key?

thanks

tim

Tim, it sounds like you are WELL versed :)

I honestly have no idea. The simple truth is I took the pic, thought it turned out bad, took several others, then went back and looked again and thought it looked kind of neat.

So, let me change my questions: Is this a good example of LOW KEY?

Thanks again.

A high key image is one where the majority of the image is light i.e. with virtually no shadow area. This could be achieved by having a large number of white things in the image or by blowing out the exposure (as you have done). However, your image is not predominantly light, it's just mis-exposed *sorry* and there are significant portions of darker colour within the image. If you had cropped just the head portion, it would probably qualify, but the back seats and jumper etcetera all stop it from being high-key (IMO).

Low key is simply the opposite i.e. dark things on dark backgrounds with minimal highlights.

High Key:
http://www.acclaimimages.com/search_terms/high_key.html

Low Key:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_search.php?action=file&galleryID=11559

Another thing I found when finding out what was High Key is that lighting is used from many different angles to remove as many shadows as possible. The shot should still be reasonably exposed still but very light & flat due to the lighting.

This one looks like you got caught in a Nuclear flash!:lol:

thanks gang. So I will just go back to assuming that Jocose f'ed it up :lmao:

Either way, it didn't cost me anything, right?

Thanks for the input.

Most reactions

Back