High Pass Filter for sharpening

bc_steve

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevedinicol.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've heard a lot about using the High Pass filter to sharpen images. I've tried it myself but I haven't noticed any real advantages vs. using Unsharp Mask except that you can do it as a layer.

Just wondering which people use and prefer and why.

Thanks!

Oh and if you're wondering what I am talking about, there is a guide here: Sharpening Using High Pass Filter « Layers Magazine

Its non destructive to the original layer...Any time you can do that is a big bonus.

Is it even any different from Unsharp Mask? Unsharp Mask sounds like much the same thing, but I don't really know what "Overlay Blending Mode" does.

What leeroix said. High pass uses a layer on top of the original, Unsharp mask is applied to the original. As well as being non destructive it does a slightly different job than a USM. I've never got to grips with it but it's explained here:

Sharpening in Photoshop -- Part III

USM can be too much on some images I've noticed, even when dropping the sliders down quite a bit. When I use High Pass, I adjust the radius as needed, cut the opacity to 30-40% and change the mode to Overlay

If you use Photoshop, combine High Pass with Smart Object. Copy the layer to be sharpened, turn it into a Smart Object, apply the HP filter, and set the blend to overlay. With Smart Object, you can change the strength of the HP filter to see what works for your photo.

The guys that wrote the software that is Lightroom's Sharpening,Noise Reduction panel wrote and entire book about image sharpening:
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

Five pages in the book are devoted to Overlay/High-Pass filter sharpening.

They also note that other blending modes can be used with the High-Pass filter. The blending modes Soft Light and Hard Light are modified versions of Overlay, but only Overlay has a symmetrical effect on both shadows and highlights.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back