High-res files and deliver formats

TheCanongirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, new to the forum here.. I've been wondering lately about what other wedding photographers are giving to their clients and I would like some opinions. Currently, I am giving them a DVD with the files. I don't resize my images so I'm giving them two folders one watermarked for fb, sharing, etc and one not watermarked for printing. Is this pretty standard? Do you resize your fb/sharing images? If so to what? I haven't had any complaints and it is my goal to deliver high res files... Just curious about how others handle this process. Thank you in advance.

I am not a pro but have covered some events and weddings. I advise you to resize your watermark images to suit the internet. 1024 pixels on the long side is probably standard. On the disc mark "for sharing and Facebook, optimised for quick upload". People will look at photos on either disc, the print one or watermark one. They don't care which is which but see one and go, nice, we put this on Facebook. They won't switch to put your watermark (which is a marketing tool for you) on display and if there is no benefit in speed why would they.

However, explain how this disc will upload 20 pictures in the time the other disc uploads one, now they have a reason to use your watermarked shots

Hey everyone, new to the forum here.. I've been wondering lately about what other wedding photographers are giving to their clients and I would like some opinions. Currently, I am giving them a DVD with the files. I don't resize my images so I'm giving them two folders one watermarked for fb, sharing, etc and one not watermarked for printing. Is this pretty standard? Do you resize your fb/sharing images? If so to what? I haven't had any complaints and it is my goal to deliver high res files... Just curious about how others handle this process. Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome!

Personally, I just give my clients all the image files on a rewrite-able DVD along with their prints according to their specific package.
Full resolution, ready to print and share on any social medium.

Of course, there are contracts that include agreements, copyright licenses, and allowed usages.

Thank you!! I will definitely use the advice on the 1024 pixels. For the most part my clients have been great at sharing only watermarked images since I label that folder as "use for Facebook" they love Facebook!! I was looking tonight at some of this new flash drive cards! Have any of you used them as a delivery method? They look fancy!! Thanks for the kind replies :)

I am not a pro but have covered some events and weddings. I advise you to resize your watermark images to suit the internet. 1024 pixels on the long side is probably standard. On the disc mark "for sharing and Facebook, optimised for quick upload". People will look at photos on either disc, the print one or watermark one. They don't care which is which but see one and go, nice, we put this on Facebook. They won't switch to put your watermark (which is a marketing tool for you) on display and if there is no benefit in speed why would they.

However, explain how this disc will upload 20 pictures in the time the other disc uploads one, now they have a reason to use your watermarked shots
This is actually a VERY good strategy if you must give your clients digital files, however you should be avoiding that whenever possible, in fact your digital files should be priced such that they make buying prints a much more attractive proposition. Once you've given the client the digital file, you can expect exactly zero follow-on business from them, however, if you price your digital files appropriately, they will be much more likely to buy product, and since you retain the files, if they want to make follow-on purchase, they come back to you for them rather than going to Wal-mart.

Most reactions

Back