High School Basketball Game Lens? Recommend one!

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the 70-200 f/2.8, but am afraid that on my crop body it will be a bit too far. My 50mm might be nice, but I'd sure like a zoom.

Has anyone shot basketball games before? In a small gym? Which lens focal range do you find the most useful? What was your lens of choice?

The 70 to 200 should be a perfect focal range., especially combined with your 50mm, unless your looking for wide shots

It really depends on where you are and where you are allowed to shoot from.

The 50mm might be good for sideline shooting, the 70-200 might even work if the action isn't right on top of you.

The lighting in high school gyms is usually terrible. The light is relatively dim, the color is horrible and usually rather inconsistent. Shoot in RAW, and you will probably need large apertures and high ISO.

I must agree. The 70-200 f/2.8 should be fine unless you're reffing the game and next to the players. I also see a lot of 24-70 f/2.8 L & 24-105 f/4 L but these are at pro games where lighting is much better.

That fast 50 is a good lens. If I may suggest, simply go shoot some pictures of a pickup game to learn angles. Back in the day I shot literally hundreds of games with a 50mm... depending on how close you are, it may be too close, you might want to think about a fast wide angle.

finding a game is a good idea, now I just need to go find a game.

I'd like to hear "your 70-200 will be perfect" but somehow I just don't see that will be the case.

Seems like in a small gym that a 24-70 may be a good compliment. Unfortunately, I don't want to spend tons on a Canon, and may end up buying the Sigma 24-70 (yes again) if I can deal with the stiff zoom ring. Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 may be a bit wide, but may be a good investment in the long run...people seem to like it.

A good wide angle under or near the net - pretty interesting shots!

EXACTLY.... this is why I am thinking wide-angle. Peanuts, would a 24-70 be wide enough, or would 17-50 be better for some under-the-net shots? you know, when the high school girls slam dunk and stuff (or just layups :)) What do you think?

No up the shorts shots will ya?! :lol: I don't think you will be invited back ;)
Hmm.. I think the 17-50 would be better and you can compliment it bringing the 70-200 along, as you won't really be missing that great of a range.

No up the shorts shots will ya?! :lol: I don't think you will be invited back ;)
Hmm.. I think the 17-50 would be better and you can compliment it bringing the 70-200 along, as you won't really be missing that great of a range.

up the shorts... yeah i'd better be careful about those. Hopefully that won't be an issue...I don't plan on being that close to the action. My wife will be there too, so hopefully they won't be too worried.

thanks, Peanuts.

wow Peanuts I would not of thought of that. that is something to keep in mind on your angle on not to do thanks for the insight without the mistake. ;)

Go with a 10mm if you want wide. With a 10mm under the hoop you'll get some great shots you could also get some great full court shots from mid court at that focal length. The sigma 10-20 is a decent lense, not professional but decent.

Go with a 10mm if you want wide. With a 10mm under the hoop you'll get some great shots you could also get some great full court shots from mid court at that focal length. The sigma 10-20 is a decent lense, not professional but decent.

I'm all for Sigma. I've been happy with them as long as I've done research before spending my money.

Been debating that lens... I'd like it... and someday I'll have it :)

You're right, it would make for an exceptional full-court shot...it'd give a cool perspective. Under the hoop it'd be neat cause I might be able to get the hoop, player, and floor, in the pic.

I've shot a lot of High School games and my 80-200 works very well, but it depends on where you will be standing. Most of the High Schools around here will not let just anyone stand behind the goals and take photos. Unless you're with the press or the school you will have to sit in the bleachers and then you will definately need the 200mm. Also, as someone already mentioned the lighting inside a gym is very difficult to work with. Good luck.

"depends where you'll be standing"...

hehe.. I got the hookups for this game. I know the guy in charge, and he said no worries on getting near the goals.

I will probably refrain from using the flash when by the goals though, so it's not distracting. (refrain...how old am I?)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back