High School Football

slyproduction

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I take photos for odessa permian high school, home of the movie "Friday Night Lights" and wanted some professional advice besides my own.
Permian%20team129p.jpg

Permian%20153.jpg

These photos were all taken in much better light then i have been using.
Im using a canon 40D 1250iso 70-300 4.0-5.6. and mostly using 125tv. with the lowest AV. but im still getting blur.

Now these..
Op326.jpg

Op274.jpg

Now this is a different stadium our home stadium and im shooting with a 40D 70-300 4.0-5.6 using manual with a 3200 iso which i hate bc its hard to sell photos with a lot of noise. and still shooting at a tv125-160 with the lowest Av. any higher i go with the tv the darker it gets.

I need some help. lol

Btw i know im using a POS lense but thats all i could get for now.

Thanks

Sorry about the photos being so big. ill try to re-size them for everyone thanks.

It's alright for the equipment you have...You really can't get good photos at night using that lens.

My only recommendation is you invest in at least a 70-200 F/2.8 IS. You could also go the hit or miss way and get a Sigma 70-200 F/2.8, but they often come back-focused out of the box.

They also look under exposed and brought back in post which make noise worse, in those conditions you need F2.8 and minimum shutter 1/320 to stop the blur

try using a external flash

Are you shooting Tv and AI Servo? Do you use a monopod or tripod?

I'd recommend:
1. utilize the 40d's 6.5 fps and shoot 1/500 or faster.
2. Save up for the 70-200mm f/2.8
3. ISO of 800 or less with the 40d, nothing higher.

Agree with the others- really large images and it's difficult to tell what's going on in them.

One thing that I did note- you don't seem to be using any fill-flash in the images and if you did, it would bring them to another level. If you shoot at an ISO of 1200-1600 and use a 70-200mm F2.8 lens, you chould shoot at 1/16th power and get some really nice detail, regardless where they are on the field. Basically, if you can shoot them within reason, it'll give you some nice detail.

I shot high school football and college football for over 25 years, and if I were shooting this type of image today, that's how I'd do it.

Here's an article that I wrote about shooting football, and additionally about shooting sports in general. Hope they help! :mrgreen:

http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/4820/how-to-photograph-football.html

Nice article.

One of my favorite angles when shooting is the end zone shot, when a team is driving. Here's one from this year:

fb.jpg

Are you shooting Tv and AI Servo? Do you use a monopod or tripod?

I'd recommend:
1. utilize the 40d's 6.5 fps and shoot 1/500 or faster.
2. Save up for the 70-200mm f/2.8
3. ISO of 800 or less with the 40d, nothing higher.

That means he can leave his camera at home :lmao:

Agree with the others- really large images and it's difficult to tell what's going on in them.

One thing that I did note- you don't seem to be using any fill-flash in the images and if you did, it would bring them to another level. If you shoot at an ISO of 1200-1600 and use a 70-200mm F2.8 lens, you chould shoot at 1/16th power and get some really nice detail, regardless where they are on the field. Basically, if you can shoot them within reason, it'll give you some nice detail.

I shot high school football and college football for over 25 years, and if I were shooting this type of image today, that's how I'd do it.

Here's an article that I wrote about shooting football, and additionally about shooting sports in general. Hope they help! :mrgreen:

http://www.popphoto.com/popularphotographyfeatures/4820/how-to-photograph-football.html

Over here if i used flash at a rugby match i would be thrown out :lmao:
like someone else said head on is good, this shot is with a 1Dmk1 at iso3200 and the 40D is far superior at high iso
92353472_QUVdU-M.jpg

Over here if i used flash at a rugby match i would be thrown out :lmao:
like someone else said head on is good, this shot is with a 1Dmk1 at iso3200 and the 40D is far superior at high iso
92353472_QUVdU-M.jpg

Believe it or not, a lot of photographers here use external flashes at football games. They're so quick that the players don't even notice them and they save you 1-2 stops on the ISO...Personally, I just prefer to crank up the ISO and remove it later with Neat Image.

Believe it or not, a lot of photographers here use external flashes at football games. They're so quick that the players don't even notice them and they save you 1-2 stops on the ISO...Personally, I just prefer to crank up the ISO and remove it later with Neat Image.

Not allowed here at football (soccer) or rugby, i can use it at rallying and motoX

foosball is the devil but the action in the shots is awesome

Most reactions

Back