Highlights issue

sapper6fd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I took a series of photos and merged them three of them into an HDR image. I'm facing a problem of having some of the highlights bblown right out. Is there any way of fixing this and getting some detail back int he final product? All images were shot in RAW, but I'm not sure if I should be trying to edit the final HDR image to recover the blown out areas or the original raw images. Any guidance is apreciated! Attached is the HDR image and I'm sure you will notice what I'm talking about!

$July 5 2012 Calgary 2.jpg

Cheers,

Sapper

I've managed to retreive some of the detail in the blown out highlights by using the adjustment brush in LR4 and lowering the exposure in the raw file. There is still a bit that needs to be done, but I'm much happier with the results so far.

$Storm-Hi-Res2.jpg

What happened to you here is exactly why I switched from shooting 3 bracketed exposures, to like 10-15. I also switched from Adobe's Merge to HDR Pro, to Photomatix. Adobe still has some kinks to work out in their HDR line up. Photomatix will not only let you merge the bracketed exposures, it will also remove any Chromatic Aberration generated.

I'm going to suggest another option. That scene didn't require HDR treatment in the first place. You could have worked from a singe raw file that held the highlights.

Joe

Most reactions

Back