Highschool-Senior Portrait Prices?

wow, thanks Pete!
If I understand you correctly... you're saying that direct sunlight is a no-no. :)
That is not a problem for me because around here there is an abundance of shade with all these oak trees.... lol

I was thinking... is it acceptable as a portrait photographer to suggest to the client that we go to a location like around here there is a place called enchanted rock and lost maples that would be a great photo location... they would be about 45 minutes away from here but I was just wondering if you know anyone who does anything like that? or would it be better to stick closer by?

eromallagadnama said:
My brother just had his done, he wouldn't let me do it...and they had a 45 dollar sitting fee, and then they charged 5 bucks per proof. They sat down during the session and chose the shots off the computer right then. Then we were mailed the proofs and then will order off of those. This is one of the cheapest rates in my area, some people charge 75 plus for the sitting fee alone.

My suggestion would be to know how much time and money you've got in it and base your price off of that.

I'm with this way

• If you charge the sitting fee they tend to take things more seriously
• You give them options and follow through with the proofs lets say ten then they pick the ones they like and print from there. I make people pay for everything not alot but it presents a more professional image and people tend to not try and take advantage or manipulate the sitution if there being charged everytime they change things around on you. Then in the end you charge for the package prices they pick.
• I also never give negs. or cds out (unless cd is low enough quality that images could never be reproduced) 72DPI and wallet like size). Nothing is worse then a stingy person only buying enough shots only to get a CD and reproducing your work over and over again without aknowledging you. Also you run the risk of the person producing at best marginal prints only to have people view your work and have it not capture your true potentiol and losing business because of this false reputation.

Good luck... money is always a hard thing to figure out. The question really is what is your time and effort is worth

Vmann said:
I also never give negs. or cds out (unless cd is low enough quality that images could never be reproduced) 72DPI and wallet like size). Nothing is worse then a stingy person only buying enough shots only to get a CD and reproducing your work over and over again without aknowledging you. Also you run the risk of the person producing at best marginal prints only to have people view your work and have it not capture your true potentiol and losing business because of this false reputation.

Good luck... money is always a hard thing to figure out. The question really is what is your time and effort is worth

I agree with much of what you said, but I've found a good market it selling the images on a CD. I don't do many seniors by choice, but in the wedding market it can be very profitable to charge by the hour ($125-200 in my area) for your time and allow them to buy the images to put on a CD (usually $300). In my area, there aren't many affordable wedding photographers for couples who don't want to spend more than $2000+ for a starting package. When you factor in the time and expense of creating an album I actually make more profit per hour this way. Interestingly, I still get orders from family and friends off my website even though the couple has printing rights to the images and I've also had some brides that just want to have easy access to printing and still order a full package (album, etc) and pay the extra for having the CD. It can be a great add on tool.

Certainly not for everyone, but my wedding sales and bookings have increased because I do offer this service.

I have discovered that generally speaking, the best outdoor lighting will be found about 10 to 12 feet back under the edge of the tree line where it meets the open treeless area.

My outdoor studio faces east, so when I shoot there it is in the late afternoon. This time of year that is about 6:00 P.M.. The sun is setting in the west, and the soft daylight from the eastern sky is streaming into my woods. I pose the subjects so there is a shadow on the side of the face that faces the camera. For females this means their body is facing the dark area of the woods and they turn their face back toward the light source. For males their body and their face is facing the light source. I have posted an example image demonstrating the above technique for females.

Tally Ho

Attachments

• $SH-001_013.jpg
    $SH-001_013.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 130
And the lights in her eyes... is that just an effect of what you did?
It's not a seperate light... correct?

Chris, I use a fill flash and/or a reflector when shooting outdoors so that can give catch lights as well.

AlisonPower said:
Chris, I use a fill flash and/or a reflector when shooting outdoors so that can give catch lights as well.
White reflector or silver? and what size would be good?

The one I use is white on one side and silver on the other. I also have a diffuser. I'm not at home and I don't know the size off hand, but unfolded it is a little less than the width of my arms.

AlisonPower said:
The one I use is white on one side and silver on the other. I also have a diffuser. I'm not at home and I don't know the size off hand, but unfolded it is a little less than the width of my arms.
Thanks! :)
I've been thinking about getting one.

Most reactions

Back