Hiking backpack recs

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm in the market for a backpack I can take hiking that will hold my camera gear (one body plus zoom) as well as a few family day hike necessities....water, snacks, sunscreen etc.

I would love to be able to put my camera in and out of the bag very easily as we are hiking roughish terrain without causing a huge hold up on our hikes.

What are your faves? I'm also pretty small framed so looking for something that isn't rediculously large.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Have a look at the Tamrac range you can add pouches or use a belt it’s kind to the body as well with the padding. Here in the uk I can get army surplus’s kit and some of there pouches even fit

I have and will always recommend the LowePro 200AW. They came out with a new version, so you may not be able to get my version. But...

I’ve used it multiple times, it holds weight well and spreads it evenly. Lots of storage. Very easy to load and remove camera.

The new one is on Amazon: Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW II - An Outdoor Sport Backpack for Mirrorless or DSLR Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013JHTGLO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4zGkDb3KVTXA6

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
First piece of advice (that is especially true for you I think): do try stuff on. Maybe you'll never be able to find a store with the item your'e looking for in-person (only available on-line). But if you go to a Best Buy you'll see how the different backpacks ride different, distribute loads differently. Once you do this, you'll have a much clearer sense of brands or designs or sizes that will work for you.

Second, what I pretty much do these days is get a decent day pack and put in an insert that I've configured for the gear I will be using. I think this is particularly good for you because: (a) if you're a hiker it allows you to throw in your lunch, some fleece, , bug spray, and the other stuff you take with you when you hike and (b) it doesn't have a brand name that screams "thousands of dollars of expensive and fence-able technology inside this bag--steal me now!" plus if you're an experienced hiker than you probably have a day pack that already works for you.

Third, the challenge with a backpack is they can be good at getting gear from X to Z but not so good at allowing access while you're hiking. If you want to be able to pull your gear out without taking off the backpack, you may not be looking for a backpack but rather a sling. Or a holster. When I'm in that situation I use either a Tamrac holster or a Lands End messenger back with an insert that will handle my 2 biggest zooms (a 600mm and a 200mm).

I'm in the market for a backpack I can take hiking that will hold my camera gear (one body plus zoom) as well as a few family day hike necessities....water, snacks, sunscreen etc.

I would love to be able to put my camera in and out of the bag very easily as we are hiking roughish terrain without causing a huge hold up on our hikes.

What are your faves? I'm also pretty small framed so looking for something that isn't rediculously large.

for hiking I use a small waist pack for camera and two lens
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

First piece of advice (that is especially true for you I think): do try stuff on. Maybe you'll never be able to find a store with the item your'e looking for in-person (only available on-line). But if you go to a Best Buy you'll see how the different backpacks ride different, distribute loads differently. Once you do this, you'll have a much clearer sense of brands or designs or sizes that will work for you.

Second, what I pretty much do these days is get a decent day pack and put in an insert that I've configured for the gear I will be using. I think this is particularly good for you because: (a) if you're a hiker it allows you to throw in your lunch, some fleece, , bug spray, and the other stuff you take with you when you hike and (b) it doesn't have a brand name that screams "thousands of dollars of expensive and fence-able technology inside this bag--steal me now!" plus if you're an experienced hiker than you probably have a day pack that already works for you.

Third, the challenge with a backpack is they can be good at getting gear from X to Z but not so good at allowing access while you're hiking. If you want to be able to pull your gear out without taking off the backpack, you may not be looking for a backpack but rather a sling. Or a holster. When I'm in that situation I use either a Tamrac holster or a Lands End messenger back with an insert that will handle my 2 biggest zooms (a 600mm and a 200mm).
Thank you! These are all great points to think about [emoji16]

I am going to second this motion:
I cannot emphasize this more because I have gone through multiple bags based on looks and not fit.
keep in mind the weight load for one, and more importantly, the easy access aspect also lends to another factor.

Leaking food!

ALWAYS keep the gear on TOP of the load!

Nothing worse than strawberry jam on a top end lens!

Also if a bag or Tupperware type container full of granola breaks open and you have salt and sugar everywhere, guess what YOU get to do!

There are packs made that have separate compartments for that very reason and "(gasp) I cant believe I am saying this..
look into REI if you can stomach them.

Lowpro, Tamrac, osprey, NorthFace, and others are the way to go.
DONT GO CHEAP!!!
alot of nylon has been showing up on the market that is low grade and splits easily and quickly.
Make sure the bags have ample padding. And dont hesitate to take gear with you to try it out for fit and finish.

What ever bag you get Start a practice of taking everything out every other month and giving the bag a good clean inside and out. My Tamrac is brill keeps dust,muck, water, sand out but I clean it reg so that none goes from outside to in with my kit

FOOD arrrrrrrgh
Never in the same bag as my camera kit. It’s like drinking a can of coke sat at the pc whilst watching something funny eg sooner or later it’s going to end up in the wrong place

There are packs made that have separate compartments for that very reason
That’s why I like the LowePro I have. While the gear is on the bottom, it is separated by a barrier, and in it’s own padded, removable compartment. Two barriers between things and camera.

Plus, the top portion allows for lots of additional things for hiking/doing things with kids. For example, for my daughter, I had diapers, water, food, wipes, change of clothes, etc., and also things like towel, food for parents, water for parents, AND room for my camera accessories and tripod (on the outside of the bag).

The best, Jerry! The best!

I have three bags but I use for different things depending on what I'm doing.
The first one is the biggest, I use if I'm hiking is a two-compartment deal, with a camera area on top and then a smaller compartment underneath with a removable insulated part. I can safely keep drinks in there and not have to worry if something leaks on my camera because the cameras above it. The great thing about this one his you have easy access to the camera from the top, and you can access it with the bag sitting upright without having to worry about spilling out your lenses out because it has clips to keep it from unzipping past the camera portion, hard to explain but you'll see it if you check it out.
https://www.amazon.com/Evecase-Came...r&qid=1563317634&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

The second one is my everyday camera bag, it's a little bit smaller I'm doesn't have the extra compartment, but it's still a backpack. The reason I really like this one is it's more secure than a regular backpack style camera bag as it unzips from the back, so you actually have to take it off to get your camera out, but you don't have to worry about somebody stealthily unzipping your bag and taking anything if you're in a crowd... It's also canvas so fairly waterproof, plus it includes a fully waterproof cover that stores in a little compartment at the bottom like lower pro stuff. Camera Backpack Zecti Waterproof Canvas Professional Camera Bag for Laptop and Other Digital Camera Accessories with Rain Cover-Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073GWBCF4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_zqLlDbGY8ADQ1

The last one I'm not really sure about it basically only holds my camera and one extra lens, it's great for times where I don't want to carry a backpack, and want easy access to my camera, likes a fair or a carnival or something. It's not a backpack per se, it's a sling pack...

https://www.amazon.com/CADeN-Camera...5&s=gateway&sprefix=caden+&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for all the advice!! I do have several bags I love for other things...a think tank shoulder bag for every day, a smaller manfrotto backpack for day trips, etc. But I am looking for something better for actually hiking.... Now to get to shopping :p

ALWAYS keep the gear on TOP of the load!

This is very good advice! :D :D

I purchased the Sky Alta 51 bag, Alta Sky 51D Camera Backpack - Black/Gray a while back. Over the past couple of months I have not done any major (all relative) hikes with it, but I have been happy. My longest hike was in Glacier about 6 weeks ago up to Avalanche lake. It was about 5 miles and I have done several other 1-3 mile hikes and have been very happy so far.

When I hike I keep my camera attached to the left shoulder strap of the bag in a way that is readily available yet does not add another strap or require constant holding.

DSC_9922.jpg

Last edited:
A few years ago I purchased a waist pack that had two holders on each side of the main compartment, for water bottles. I found that these compartments were really good for larger lenses such as my 70 to 300 mmor even a 105 mm F2. The main compartment held my Nikon D3X and a lens, and the secondary zippered compartment would hold two smaller lenses.

I found that the waist pack was actually a pretty darn good way to carry my camera gear on hikes along the Oregon coast. My only backpack is a large think tank, and is extremely difficult and slow to access equipment, requiring me to get out of the backpack set it down, And then to open the backpack. There have been some new backpack designs made over the last few years that make it fairly easy to get inside, but unfortunately I can't recommend any particular model based on experience

Most reactions

Back