Hip shot, street shot.

GrantH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$599054_10152239090160607_2088158_n.jpg

This one was hip fired in Nashville. 17-40L and 7d @ 17mm (I think) with sun behind me and high up. Not the best lighting, but not terrible. It works...for me. I like the conveyed pretentiousness of the girl, cast against the rugged truck behind her. Cropped limbs and head don't bother me at all with this one, though the leg (jeans) behind her does and I can't find a way to rid the image of it...so it stays.

Hmmm... have to say that I don't really get anything from this image. Sorry.

Nothing wrong with that. I quite enjoy it, as I hope a few others do as well. I know there are things wrong with it, being hip shot and all...just posting to hear thoughts. Thanks for yours.

If that chick were to be say, Ashley Greene or Kristen Stewart, or say Miranda Kerr, and that rusty Scottsdale were say, a big E-class Benz, and that were say, Hollywood, you'd have yourself a shot there buddy, and a saleable one for a web buyer like,say Egotastic or Celebslam or Hollywood Tuna...even with that random dude's jeans-clad thigh there in the background.
But since she's just some random gal walking by a rusted out old Scottsdale, it just comes across as kind of...pervy...for lack of a better or more-appropriate word. Well, I guess the new word is "creeper"...

You could call it "High maintenance" and let the viewer decide which is more so, the truck or the woman.

If that chick were to be say, Ashley Greene or Kristen Stewart, or say Miranda Kerr, and that rusty Scottsdale were say, a big E-class Benz, and that were say, Hollywood, you'd have yourself a shot there buddy, and a saleable one for a web buyer like,say Egotastic or Celebslam or Hollywood Tuna...even with that random dude's jeans-clad thigh there in the background.
But since she's just some random gal walking by a rusted out old Scottsdale, it just comes across as kind of...pervy...for lack of a better or more-appropriate word. Well, I guess the new word is "creeper"...

Same can be said for any photo taken of any person in a public setting. I don't feel that way at all, and haven't had anyone else express that when looking at it either. If it were a celebrity, I wouldn't enjoy it. It would be expected in a way I guess. Creeper or not, I enjoy it. Would I hang it on my wall? No, but I don't know that I would hang any photo of someone easily recognizable in my house if not immediate family.

Creeper starts at ~100mm anyways. You know this.

This angle makes it creepy. Grow some balls and point the camera at someones face.

Same can be said for any photo taken of any person in a public setting. I don't feel that way at all, and haven't had anyone else express that when looking at it either. If it were a celebrity, I wouldn't enjoy it. It would be expected in a way I guess. Creeper or not, I enjoy it. Would I hang it on my wall? No, but I don't know that I would hang any photo of someone easily recognizable in my house if not immediate family.

Its creepy and you know it.

No...creeper starts when you're afraid to bring the camera up to your eye and you shoot pics of girls on the street, unbeknownst to them. Put it this way...if she was 12 or 13 years old, and you took that SAME shot, from HIP-level, and were posting it here...the sheriff in your little podunk town would probably already have showed up at your residence...

No...creeper starts when you're afraid to bring the camera up to your eye and you shoot pics of girls on the street, unbeknownst to them. Put it this way...if she was 12 or 13 years old, and you took that SAME shot, from HIP-level, and were posting it here...the sheriff in your little podunk town would probably already have showed up at your residence...

If she was 12, and I hip fired...it would be closer to eye level and not such a dramatic angle. Therefore, less or not at all "creepy" as you put it. I don't believe 40,000+ is "podunk" either, nor is the 183,000 population I live in now either. The fact is, you made an assumption, which in all honesty, was pretty ignorant and farfetched. Your choice though. Whether you continue the name calling and idiocy is beyond me, but your opinion isn't valid in my mind.

'Hip shot, street shot' or just a snapshot. Nothing for the eye to stop on. Just my 2 cents.

I think the "sherriff" comment may go a little far, but "hip shot" (speaking from experience) usually means you lack the nerve to take the picture with them knowing it... whatever the reason.

The picture lacks any real substance, and you had to explain the image... and explain it you did... into the ground... including making what I would call excuses for things like cropped limbs. Typically, photography is only truly great when it needs no explanation. Frankly, your entire post reads like one big excuse for why the photo isn't any good, but why you think it is anyway. Unfortunately, that's almost always an indicator of a complete failure.

I know that's harsh and I don't mean it to be so, but in order to be honest I have to say it pretty much just like that.

Don't make excuses for your work. Understand why you're inclined to make excuses and then adjust for what you failed to do in your next attempt. Making excuses is just self-deception. Embrace the failure and get better.

I think the "sherriff" comment may go a little far, but "hip shot" (speaking from experience) usually means you lack the nerve to take the picture with them knowing it... whatever the reason.

The picture lacks any real substance, and you had to explain the image... and explain it you did... into the ground... including making what I would call excuses for things like cropped limbs. Typically, photography is only truly great when it needs no explanation. Frankly, your entire post reads like one big excuse for why the photo isn't any good, but why you think it is anyway. Unfortunately, that's almost always an indicator of a complete failure.

I know that's harsh and I don't mean it to be so, but in order to be honest I have to say it pretty much just like that.

Don't make excuses for your work. Understand why you're inclined to make excuses and then adjust for what you failed to do in your next attempt. Making excuses is just self-deception. Embrace the failure and get better.

What he said.
It's just a random missed shot with no inherent message.

I wish I had looked at it more carefully, before reading the somewhat labored explanation.

There are things to like in here. I like the duality of her sunglasses and the truck's windshield, and the echoed shape of her torso/arm with the windshield/hood of the truck. The reflections of cityscape with the cityscape in the background also work.

There are elements of "street" in here, there's geometry and echoed forms and so on. There's no ambiguity, no narrative, nothing of the traditional ideas of street, but there are the shapes and forms of street.

The low angle of view is certainly odd and unsettling, but it does drive the geometry.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back