History: Viewing/Editing Images on a Computer

PhotosInParadise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious if this capability came when digital cameras did? I assume so but searched on the internet, and found how to edit but nothing as far as history. I am a beginning photographer and I was just wanting some knowledge, hence my search. If you dont have time to enlighten me, thanks anyway for reading my post.

P.S. - if you do care to share your knowledge, I am interested in knowing if viewing a digital image on a computer came along at the same time as editing ability or separate.

Viewing photographs on a computer screen came about closer to the time that scanners were developed. Perhaps a little earlier than that. I remember seeing an image of a "Slice" through a human brain (some sort of computer medical procedure I don't know the name of) in the late 1980's or early 1990's. Then I started seeing scanned photographs from time to time (this is before the internet gained popularity so sharing files was done by diskette or CD).

Photoshop was created in 1988 by Thomas and John Knoll.
Thomas, as a PhD student, wrote a program to display grayscale images on a monochrome display.
His brother John, employed at the motion picture visual effects company George Lucas had started in 1975 - Industrial Light & Magic - saw the program and encouraged his brother to make it a full-fledged image editing program.
Thomas took a 6 month break from school, and with some help from John did what John had suggested.

Photos were first uploaded to the Internet about 1992.

Photoshop was created in 1988 by Thomas and John Knoll.
Thomas, as a PhD student, wrote a program to display grayscale images on a monochrome display.
His brother John, employed at the motion picture visual effects company George Lucas had started in 1975 - Industrial Light & Magic - saw the program and encouraged his brother to make it a full-fledged image editing program.
Thomas took a 6 month break from school, and with some help from John did what John had suggested.

Photos were first uploaded to the Internet about 1992.

So we could theoretically blame Adobe for the hatchet acting and script writing that occurs writing in star wars

Logic Disconnect Alert ! ! Logic Disconnect Alert ! ! Logic Disconnect Alert ! ! Logic Disconnect Alert ! ! Logic Disconnect Alert ! ! Logic Disconnect Alert ! !

By the way.
Most of the editing Photoshop started out being able to do was just a way to do the wet darkroom edits to digital images.
For example, the UnSharp Mask (USM) image sharpening tool mimics how two film negatives were used, one a top the other, to make a mask that added contrast to edges in the image to be printed.

I think the first commercially available graphics workstation / terminal was the Silicon Graphics IRIS (Integrated Raster Imaging System) in the mid 80's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back