Hit the flat..... Cant seem to find the motivation.

Soocom1

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I hit the flat, the wall, the bump, the pothole, the black hole, whatever you want to call it.

It may pass in a while, but right now I cant even seem to pick up my cell phone camera and shoot.
Plus the few times I have lately the work is total garbage.

In fact I am finding it hard to even look at some equipment and have no motivation to do any work at all.

Is this a symptom of post-covid? IDK.

How many of you have had this?

I don't get too hung up on it. It happens to us all in some way or other and not just in photography.

If I feel like doing something I'll do it, if I can't be bothered or don't have the motivation I don't. As long as my actions are not having a detrimental effect on those that mean something to me then all is good. Glass half full and all that. Simple!!!!:)

In a similar situation and just starting to pull out of it somewhat. My local photography club stopped having meetings, so I can't feed on the energy of my fellow photographers. Even stopped logging into my usual photography forums for a few months and lost motivation to study photography (PP, composition, ...). I am at high risk for Covid-19 so have been pretty much self quarantined and that is stopping me from going to my favorite shooting spots and looking for new ones. I am starting to get back to it learning more about macro photography, focus stacking etc., which I can do around the house, and I have submitted a couple of shots to the forums -> photo themes -> weekly challenge, but until a vaccine is available, it will be hard to get back to being fully engaged. Good luck and let us know if you find a magic bullet.

Yeah, happens to me from time to time. This year the opposite happened for me, I've been snap happy since the travel limit was relaxed and even getting some site work that's taking me to some far flung places.

But every few years it hits and then I just put the camera down for a bit and eventually I hit on something that makes me want to dust off the cobwebs. I just roll with it.

Just hang tight and wait for the next wave.

It will pass - and unless your job is photography - why worry?

It's a bit like saying; "I've not felt like collecting stamps for a while" ..... just do something else until the urge to create images returns.

I felt the same way last year - but realized it was because I was unhappy with the response to my photos online, and this was causing the demotivation. So I stopped posting for a few weeks - as I really take photos for myself and my family anyway.

Online posting can be a addictive, you get a small 'high' when you get a positive comment, or a bad trip when you get negative critique - so I went cold turkey. And when I started posting again I was more aware that this was not the reason I take photos.

Also - buying a cheap, manual lens from a second hand shop, wacking on an adapter, and going out shooting always revitalises me. A different lens changes my view of the world - it's like going on holiday! :)

This happens with all hobies or interests at some time or another.

Best approach is not to force it. Take abrake if needed and then assess what YOU want to get out of photography.
Is it to get out and take an image you enjoy? To learn a new technique? Have fun while at the same time creating memories? Only you can answer this.
Try to look back at the time when you first noticed when the wall began to show. Can you identify the possible why or catalist for it?
Sometimes just sitting down and recognising what or why something is happening can aid you in dertermining a refreshed start.

Hope it passes and you get back to enjoying the journey.

That is why my hobbies go in spurts, photography, music, ham radio and a host of others. It gives the mind a break. But even when off on some tangent, your mind still recognizes a good photo opportunity and thinks "Shucks no camera".

Sounds familiar, same thing happened to me last year and post lock down it took me a long time to find the motivation to go out and start taking photos again.

Sounds familiar, same thing happened to me last year and post lock down it took me a long time to find the motivation to go out and start taking photos again.
Our dear beloved Gov. (MLG) has sidestepped full opening, but most of us are just flippant and ignoring it for the most part.

I may go out and about this weekend. Its Labor Day on Monday in the US and we as a collective bunch of malcontents in this state will probably flaunt it en mass.

Our dear beloved Gov. (MLG) has sidestepped full opening, but most of us are just flippant and ignoring it for the most part.

I may go out and about this weekend. Its Labor Day on Monday in the US and we as a collective bunch of malcontents in this state will probably flaunt it en mass.

Please be careful. Cases really spiked 2 weeks after the 4th of July here in SE Texas. They are just starting to come down now.

I have found the answer to this problem : never get good at it. If you're stubborn like me, you will always strive to beat the challenge and therefore never lose sight of the goal:biglaugh:

I discovered years ago my photography was “Ok” but my real interests were with the gear. So, now I consider myself 80% Collector, 20% user. This actually is not a bad thing. Covid made me stay home, the collection is there, and I enjoy looking at and fondling them. Remember, people who collect elephant guns seldom shoot elephants with them :/)

your just resting..getting all your ducks in a row.. you will be back.. and then it will be great again...lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back