Hoar Frost on Saugeen River

Aw thanks Jaca! ((hugs))

Sleist, green, lmao!!
Good suggestion, I may tinker, I was thinking for printing they may have to come up a bit to not get lost so good eye :)

Oops, I lied, it wasn't a red filter for the conversion, it was orange, sorry about that, I was close though! ;) lol
Nice work Judy, it is quite surrealistic. I agree with Sleist, it is a bit too dark.
Plus, he he, red or orange filter in the morning is not very effective, there is too much of the blue light, Especially that low over the horizon.

Thanks T!
The only reason I used he orange filter was to darken the sky to give the frost something to contrast against, without the filter it is so subtle it is easily missed ;) I haven't done a brighter version yet but will post it when I do.

I know your goals here. IMO many values went too low giving unusual effect of partial pseudo solarization on the frosty branches while the horizon looks normal. I have no clue how the filter simulation works, but usually use of filter require exposure compensation to keep shadows happy. Here looks like the software just darken whatever blue values it found.

Good point, thank you for helping me think around this, I think that the biggest factor is I'm shooting from the shade and the foreground is in the shade so the dynamic range between foreground and the lighted shore is pretty wide, here is a conversion without a filter, the foreground is still quite dark and the frost on the branches above is totally lost. I'll try a little burning in the foreground and see.

IMG_0169bwnofilter-1 by Judi Smelko, on Flickr

Most reactions

New Topics

Back