Hobbyist or Small Business?

The business has not launched yet guys. So, that would be the purpose in throwing out what "plan", a.k.a. foundation of thoughts, I was attempting. Instead of a "fail" comment, or " I think it's pretty obvious YA didn't really think through his new "business" much", a simple suggestions, like I was asking for, would benefit. I am new to all of this, wish starting a business.
I am an English teacher at the moment that has always had a passion for photography. I am starting the site to encourage photography and promote creativity and constant learning (what I thought I would get on here).

Please, before you criticize, take some time to look at my concerns for the business and suggest/comment.

Also, studio 101 what does " [he] had no qualms hijacking someone else's thread" mean?

It means you posted something that had nothing to do with the original post. You hijacked the thread for your own topic. Same as you did here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/78748-question-about-photo-licensing.html

And yes, "simple suggestions"? When, as you say "I am starting an online photography business that should be up and running within the next couple days." If you have everything set up for a business that will be online next Monday, yet you know nothing about licensing images (from the other thread) although that seems to be the main focus of your 'business', then I would say you haven't thought much through.

Well, I clearly did not mean to "hijack a thread", but I could not find an answer to something that was similarly related to what I, personally, was trying to achieve.

I see that I need to be completely explicit in my writing here. :) The website will launch, figuratively, not literally. It will be 100% done from the end of the web disigner. I am not allowing it to be "on the market" until I clearly define all the terms of agreement. licensing agreements, etc.

I have looked up/researched a lot about this topic. This business idea has been going on for 2 years. I am still having issues finding, online, the information regarded to what I am doing. I only wanted to sell photos to make it easier for relatives or friends to obtain work. Again, this is exclusively for 13-21 year olds to build their portfolio or expand their creative ability. I just wanted a place where the teens could call their own and be proud to showcase as their own.

That you are having issues finding information online regarding what you are wanting to do, is because online is the wrong place to be looking.

You should be consulting with a qualified attorney.

The business has not launched yet guys. So, that would be the purpose in throwing out what "plan", a.k.a. foundation of thoughts, I was attempting. Instead of a "fail" comment, or " I think it's pretty obvious YA didn't really think through his new "business" much", a simple suggestions, like I was asking for, would benefit. I am new to all of this, wish starting a business.
I am an English teacher at the moment that has always had a passion for photography. I am starting the site to encourage photography and promote creativity and constant learning (what I thought I would get on here).

Please, before you criticize, take some time to look at my concerns for the business and suggest/comment.

Also, studio 101 what does " [he] had no qualms hijacking someone else's thread" mean?

It means you posted something that had nothing to do with the original post. You hijacked the thread for your own topic. Same as you did here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/general-shop-talk/78748-question-about-photo-licensing.html

And yes, "simple suggestions"? When, as you say "I am starting an online photography business that should be up and running within the next couple days." If you have everything set up for a business that will be online next Monday, yet you know nothing about licensing images (from the other thread) although that seems to be the main focus of your 'business', then I would say you haven't thought much through.

Your tone seems to signify that you are upset. Let me clarify that my status says that I am NEW to the site. I have never decided to join a forum and I was, clearly, unsure of where to post categorically. So, I decided that I would post prematurely to finding the exact thread. I am learning and I want to learn more and to do this, I may make some mistakes.

Calm down, take a breath, and answer in a way that I can, in fact, learn from your great all-knowing wisdom. I am open to doing so....

Calm down, take a breath, and answer in a way that I can, in fact, learn from your great all-knowing wisdom. I am open to doing so....

OK, just say sorry to the original poster since it's her thread and start your own in this same board. Not a big deal but there is forum etiquette one needs to be familiar with. I got my fingers slapped a time or two, it's part of learning.

Why not allow purchasing the photos with permission of the copyright holder and redirect the funds to the photographer? (Continue this in a new thread.)

Also, studio 101 what does " [he] had no qualms hijacking someone else's thread" mean?[/QUOTE]

It means that I created this thread for advice about my question, and you "hijacked" it and made it about you. :grumpy:

@ everyone else, thanks so much for the advice, I will be spending time writing stuff down to have it ready for my appointment!

It means that I created this thread for advice about my question, and you "hijacked" it and made it about you. :grumpy:

@ everyone else, thanks so much for the advice, I will be spending time writing stuff down to have it ready for my appointment![/QUOTE]

Sorry, I didn't see that someone had addressed it, I was responding from my email!

Jeanelle,

Kudos on meeting with an accountant. That said (I live in Topeka), I just went to the IRS office downtown and asked them what I should do. They also suggested an accountant, but said the most important thing was claiming the income and paying taxes on it. Depending on how much you make, the taxes taken out of your paychecks might not be enough to cover any taxes you owe.

Washburn University has a "small business" school and they do free consultations. Their advice was for me to form an LLC and think about withholding more from my paychecks... It ended up being a moot point, as I got laid off a couple weeks later and since I was in the process of setting up a business, I just took it to the next step.

Also, my father owned a number of restaurants when I was growing up and got himself into a lot of trouble by doing his own taxes. So I didn't want to take any chances and I have a part-time accountant that goes over all my books 1 day a month and handles all my quarterly and yearly taxes. Next to (some of) my lenses and my daughter's college education, it's the best money I ever spent.

Jeanelle,

Kudos on meeting with an accountant. That said (I live in Topeka), I just went to the IRS office downtown and asked them what I should do. They also suggested an accountant, but said the most important thing was claiming the income and paying taxes on it. Depending on how much you make, the taxes taken out of your paychecks might not be enough to cover any taxes you owe.

Washburn University has a "small business" school and they do free consultations. Their advice was for me to form an LLC and think about withholding more from my paychecks... It ended up being a moot point, as I got laid off a couple weeks later and since I was in the process of setting up a business, I just took it to the next step.

Also, my father owned a number of restaurants when I was growing up and got himself into a lot of trouble by doing his own taxes. So I didn't want to take any chances and I have a part-time accountant that goes over all my books 1 day a month and handles all my quarterly and yearly taxes. Next to (some of) my lenses and my daughter's college education, it's the best money I ever spent.

Wow thanks for the advice! I am on the right track so far it seems! I am keeping good records of everything I am making so that I can keep all my taxes in order. I just didn't want to get in trouble because of the question of small business or hobbyist type of issue. I do not consider myself a business as of yet, even though that is where I would like to progress to someday. I have a full time job, and right now I am just doing this in whatever little bit of free time that I have!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back