Hobbyist wanting to turn pro

DahllHaus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, all!

I'm a hobby photographer from Indiana who wants to turn pro. I'm saving up for a professional grade camera. When I say I'm a hobbyist photographer, that's definitely what I am. I mostly photograph dolls.

sistersfingerguitar_zps6afa5083.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

busyweek005_zpsbd56d58f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

talk005_zps3d7b7aaf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I realize I'm going to have to expand my horizons to go pro but I'm always happy to get tips/critiques from people with more experience than me!

Last edited:
Welcome to TPF.

TPF has a section for tips critique and comments on photos - Photo Galleries - Photos submitted by members for general display or critique.

It's getting tougher by the day to be a professional photographer.
Most professional photographers are freelance or self-employed. Consequently, having a solid grounding in both business skills and photography skills is needed.

DSLR cameras come in 3 grades: consumer, prosumer, professional.

The consumer/entry-level DSLR cameras start at about $500 new and include a, 18-55 mm consumer grade lens. (Canon T3, Nikon D3100)
The Prosumer grade DSLR cameras start at about $2000 new without a lens. (Canon 6D, Nikon D800)
The Professional DSLR grade cameras start at about $6000 new. (Canon 1DX, Nikon D4)

Welcome!

#1 pretty good
#2 move extra hands out of frame
#3 needs different light. the light coming from above does this scene no particular favors, and you should have more light on the fronts of the dolls. If you are using continuous lighting, place a cover (roof?) on the dollhouse, and move your light(s) more toward the front. Experiment with varying intensity and color of light to create the mood you want.

I'll be the first to tell you that equipment matters, but I will say this: Learn the light.

Welcome to the site.

Do you have any questions? If not, the first step is realizing being a pro isn't about equipment. Take some time to realize that now and think about the direction you want to take your career. Subtract gear out of your ability to make an image. What you have left is what determines your level. You need mastery over photographic principles to become a pro. Every camera does the same thing: It records light. Cameras are classified as pro, prosumer and entry-level because of the tools they offer photographers, not because of their ability to produce great images. Any camera can produce a great image.

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

The consumer/entry-level DSLR cameras start at about $500 new and include a, 18-55 mm consumer grade lens. (Canon T3, Nikon D3100)

I've got my eye on a Nikon D3100.

#2 move extra hands out of frame
#3 needs different light. the light coming from above does this scene no particular favors, and you should have more light on the fronts of the dolls. If you are using continuous lighting, place a cover (roof?) on the dollhouse, and move your light(s) more toward the front. Experiment with varying intensity and color of light to create the mood you want.

I've cropped the hands out of the second picture. The third one is not the light setting I usually use, but I really liked the composition and the softness of it. I didn't include it in the comic itself, but thought it was too nice to delete. But critiques noted!

If not, the first step is realizing being a pro isn't about equipment. Take some time to realize that now and think about the direction you want to take your career. Subtract gear out of your ability to make an image. What you have left is what determines your level. You need mastery over photographic principles to become a pro.]

While it's true that you need more than a nice camera, the equipment does matter. You wouldn't take a Shetland pony to the Kentucky Derby. My current camera is a Sony Cybershot, which actually takes really nice photos for close ups and portraits, but is absolute crap for long shots. If I wanted to specialize in say, horse shows, I wouldn't be able to make it with that camera. I want a Nikon D3100 to give me a wider range of options.

Learn the light.

My biggest challenge!

What are you wanting to photogrpah professionally? im going to say here probalby isn't a huge market in shooting barbies. figuring out what you want to shoot will help lead you to the right gear for the job. if your wanting to work towards going pro thats great, just start learning business, marketing, insurance, accounting along with the photography side of things so that when you decide to open up shop you know what your doing.

What are you wanting to photogrpah professionally? im going to say here probalby isn't a huge market in shooting barbies. figuring out what you want to shoot will help lead you to the right gear for the job. if your wanting to work towards going pro thats great, just start learning business, marketing, insurance, accounting along with the photography side of things so that when you decide to open up shop you know what your doing.

Well, although there is a niche market for photographing toys for advertising purposes, I'd like to work livestock shows. I just contacted ShowChampions. They're in the market for photographers and photography assistants, so hopefully I can get my foot in the door. I'm not a stranger to dancing around like an idiot to get a horse to prick it's ears forward for a picture.

Cross fingers for me!

Most reactions

Back