Hockey Practice (kind of)

schumionbike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yeah, the little guy is practicing his skating skill to play hockey latter on. I don't have any experience with panning and hockey so can you guys give me advises?? I was standing from the second floor shooting down. Is 1/40 shutterspeed too slow when you are panning? Thanks in advance guys!

feb08081edited4x6.jpg

here's my exif info.
Flash Used: NoFocal Length: 11.5mm (35mm equivalent: 69mm...Exposure Time: 0.025 s (1/40)Aperture: f/3.2ISO Equiv.: 200Whitebalance: AutoMetering Mode: spotExposure: ManualExposure Mode: ManualExposure Mode: Auto bracketing

seems to far away for my liking, sorry but i dont have much panning experience hahah

I shot my hockey at 1/200, sutter priority and ISO 1600.....I think your shot is too far away. and at 1/40 any player motion, even with panning, but arm movement or a shooting hockey stick will be blurred at that shutter speed. Even though the glass is beat up, you can still find little holes of clean glass to shoot through. You need to be carefull though to not get on much of an angle, as the glass will distort the picture. Shooting from the corners is the best......keep shooting, and shoot a bunch, I took 300 pictures at the game, and the team photographer said he shoots 1000.....

IMO panning only works well if you're right up with the person shooting a really wide angle. Since it takes the detail away from the background you have to get a lot of detail from your subject.

Turn up the ISO to get a faster shutter speed.

Thanks for all the advises guys. I really appreciate it. I guess I'm gonna try find a better spot next time and bump that shutter speed up a little bit. I was hoping to keep the ISO down at 200 because my camera get a lot of noise at 400 IS0 (it's a kodak p&s). My shutter speed at 400 IS0 is around 1/80 to 1/125 or so depending on the f stop.

IMO panning only works well if you're right up with the person shooting a really wide angle. Since it takes the detail away from the background you have to get a lot of detail from your subject.

I never even thought of this concept, thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back