Hockey Shots

Vudoo4u2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Tested out the 5dmarkii this weekend indoors @ a hockey game, sat high up in the bleachers on the side shooting with my 70-200 F 2.8 IS L handheld

ISO 1600 for the first two, ISO 3200 for the third, F 2.8 or 3.2 used on all with 1/400/500 shutter

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Great shots, the 2nd one is a winner.

In the 3rd, I'd prefer a little more DOF, to get the centermen in focus as well as the ref.

thanks! I entirely agree about the third. I wish I had that slight bit more focus on the centermen. But alas, next time ;)

the location of my seat I think could have been better, I was finding myself strapped to trying to peer over the plexiglass a lot of the time and that made for shots that had forced framing vs what I really wanted, Ive gotta scout this rink better

What kind of saturation compensation where you using? In camera or PP? The colors look fantastic for 1600 or 3200. I can't wait to retire my 5D to reserve duty and get a MkII

I just adjusted the curves a bit (with a few other tweaks)

but realistically, the major thing I did for the color was just take the shots @ +1 exposure, after that, my tweaks were very minor

Very impressive color. I have the 50d and have been wondering how the 5dmk11 would do as a sports camera and if your pics are any indication it should do well. Good dynamic range ice looks really good which is usually on of the difficult things to not blow out. You can check some of my 50d hockey photos at this post. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photojournalism-sports-gallery/154450-rays-sports-photos.html
Please post some more once you have taken more hockey shots. Really interested to know whether this would be the camera to upgrade to next.

Very impressive color. I have the 50d and have been wondering how the 5dmk11 would do as a sports camera and if your pics are any indication it should do well. Good dynamic range ice looks really good which is usually on of the difficult things to not blow out. You can check some of my 50d hockey photos at this post. http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photojournalism-sports-gallery/154450-rays-sports-photos.html
Please post some more once you have taken more hockey shots. Really interested to know whether this would be the camera to upgrade to next.

Thanks!! Ive got a bunch more to post from the same event, I would say that I did not have too tough of a time getting the shots, even considering my seat at the game was high up in the stands far away from the game itself. I was looking at your pics and was curious where you were standing/sitting in relation to the game?

I was right on the players bench for a bunch of them and then I shoot from one corner over top of the glass. I am one of the official photographers for a junior a hockey team so I have access to the bench and other places where a fan would not be able to go.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back