hogla

enigma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, after someone on here said I sould get a $15 MF camera called a hogla I just had to see what was up. This camera looks to be the biggest piece of trash, and is lucky to be called a camera at all. That said, it also takes some of the coolest pictures I have ever seen. I plan to get one ASAP, but had a question or 2 to ask.

-Mod, or not to Mod. I have seen that you can buy/or do it your self.... change things about it...
stop light leak
add second fstop
tripod......

I can see where these mods would be a good thing, but at the same time, does the leaky back, and lack of opions add to the overall apeal of the camera?

Does this camera have a light meter, I am guessing NO. If not, how do you meter light, or do you?

Thanks

:lol: I just got one, it came in the mail this week, no light meter,
no shutter speed, no ISO, Has a switch for sun light or other? LOL,
full manual film advance (no auto stop at next frame)
grate for multiple exposures

yes... that reminds me. How many ... er... clicks does it take to get to the next frame (120mm)?

Doesn't yours have a red window on the back? The frame # is on the film in the appropriate place. You get 16 6x4.5cm shots, or 12 6x6cm shots if you remove the plastic mask at the film plane.

I've have 2 Holgas, a Diana, and a Lomo Smena(35mm). Both Holgas' shutters failed pretty quickly. The Diana(no longer made) has a much better shutter(meaning it works most of the time), and a better aperture system. The Smena actually has a full range of f/stops and shutter speeds. All are legendary fantastic-plastic-cameras.

There are loads of mid-20th century consumer cameras that take 120 film, and have about the same features as the Holga. You can find them at garage sales in good shape for even cheaper than a Holga. Check out the Agfa Clack; it shoots 6x9cm on 120 film and I see them on EBAY for $15 to $30.

Or try picking up an old Argus 75 or if you are lucky a Super 75. 620 film but rerolling 120 is a snap. I picked up two and they both had the take up spool so now I use two metal take up spools. Simple shutter. 75mm. No adjustments except a time exposer setting that is equivilant to Bulb. One of the 75's I bought has a peculiar "Portait" filter attachment that says "for closer than 4 feet." and seems to have some small optic quality. However, all that said, I have yet to develop any film for it. :) Just another option.

120 film costs a bundle to develop here.
ive only taken one roll withmy holga.
i think the light leaks make for interestingpics however..tahts kinda why people buy them.

the best thing about holgas is the fun that you will have with them. my brother and i rolled around on the floor laughing at the big build up you get once the film is loaded.they want ya to really make sure you're ready before u actually take a pic.

funny funny camera. i guarantee giggles.

I have an old rollfilm camera from the 50s that I bought to try out 120 film. Unfortunately, this $7 camera produces decent results, unlike the Holga :?. I've been using Ilford FP4 Plus and HP5 Plus, and developing it myself. Really, there's no excuse for not developing your own black and white, it's just so much cheaper (and you get MUCH more control over the results). My flatbed is useless for scanning medium format stuff, so I can either make contact sheets or use a digital camera to copy the negatives. Oh well :(.

I've shot 3 rolls on my Holga thusfar and I've been getting some bad light leaks at the top, there is a large triangle of light on most every frame. So on my current roll, I taped the back up with black electrical tape and I also taped this one little thing inside, so I will see if that takes care of that problem. I can see some random light leaks being cool, but these are every shot, same spot, same triangle, and frankly really annoying.

Regarding metering, I wondered the same thing myself. My first roll was overly dark, so I have learned that I really just need to take pics in full sun. My last roll came out very well, I think.

Edit to add that the triangle leaks discussed only occur when I have the mask out to do 6x6. My last roll was 6x4.5 with no tape, and I have no leaks.

noisytoy said:
ksmattfish said:
I've have 2 Holgas, a Diana, and a Lomo Smena(35mm)

sorry mate, those are no Holgas! A Holga is the brand. a diana a very old 6cm camera (when you're lucky you can still find them on fleamarkets) and a Lomo is a Lomo.

You can order both the Holga and the Lomo at www.lomography.com!

I didn't say they were all Holga brand, I said they were all fantastic plastic cameras. Holgas and Lomos have become hip and popular in the last couple of decades, but there are many other wonderful crappy plastic cameras out there that don't come with the pop-star price tag. I'll take an Agfa Clack(6x9cm on 120 film) over a Diana(4.5x4.5cm on 120) or Holga(4.5x6cm or 6x6.5cm on 120) anyday.

LOMO is a brand, although I am aware that folks have begun referring to a particular point-n-shoot model as "the LOMO". I have several Russian plastic cameras that have LOMO embossed on them, and none are the trendy model. My LOMO Smena has manual shutter and aperture controls, and sells for about $18 new.

Anybody have experience with Lomo Lubitel TLR cameras?
I have been wanting to try some medium format, and these cameras can be had for less than $50 on eBay, but are they as quirky as the other Lomo's and the Holgas you all have been discussing?

Most reactions

Back