Hole Punching Negatives - Scanning Issues

jorgeantonystride

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I have been playing around with some techniques which involve hole punching the negative. You can see some of my tests on some old negs below. My problem is that when I go to scan the negatives, my scanner is automatically overexposing the image to the hole punch and not the image. This is seen in the second image below.

Was wondering if anyone can offer my any advice or direct me to a related thread? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

I am using a CanoScan 9000F.

Many Thanks

Jorge

View attachment 41247

View attachment 41248

I have no idea if this would work, but I would grab a sheet of white paper and punch out a bunch of holes. Keep those around and try to fill in the space on the negative with it.

I have no idea if this would work, but I would grab a sheet of white paper and punch out a bunch of holes. Keep those around and try to fill in the space on the negative with it.

Thanks, I have tried some various techniques using a white background, though I feel the must be an easier way around this issue.

As you are scanning negs it is underexposing, not overexposing. Why not set the exposure in manual, with a non-punched area selected. That will allow you to set the white and black points of the photo image. After you have set the exposure manually, you can then reselect the whole image area to include the holes.

New scanner and am not so used to it. Will give it a go and report back. Thanks

As you are scanning negs it is underexposing, not overexposing. Why not set the exposure in manual, with a non-punched area selected. That will allow you to set the white and black points of the photo image. After you have set the exposure manually, you can then reselect the whole image area to include the holes.

That's exactly what I would do.

Often, one small part of the (non-hole punched) image will "ruin" the exposure if you select the entire frame. When that happens, I just try selecting different parts of the frame till I get the result I want, then expand the selection to include the entire frame (without changing the settings).

I'm not entirely sure how to this. Apologies for sounding dumb, I am using MP navigator and am not too sure how to set the exposure.

I'm not familiar with that software, but typically - you would first do a 'pre-scan' , then draw a box around the frame, push some exposure or levels button and make other adjustments, then scan.

If you don't have a manual for the software, I would try to find it online - I'm sure it will explain how to do it. Look in the Help menu of the program too.

I've been using MP Navigator, but am being recommended VueScan by several people. What would you say is the best scanning software?

I personally really liked SilverFast. I could never quite get the hang of VueScan...

I'm using 'Image Scan for Linux!' (AvaSys) now. The only reason I'm not still using silverfast is because I switched 100% to linux a few years ago. I didn't want to keep a copy of windows just for one program, and I hate trying to run windows programs in Wine, lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back