Holga Camera

alexoat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
HI ... I've been interested in this camera for some time... the Holga plastic medium format camera. Is it a fun film camera? How do the images look? Does it function like normal film carmera its just med. format? And what about getting the images processed? Would I have to do it myself in a darkroom? Any info would be much appreciated ;)

I've actually heard of that, it looks like alot of fun!! :)

The Holga is an amazing camera!

The holga is a perfect camera for beginners just learning how to compose an image and understand light all the way up to pro's who want an artistic look with traditional film.

Heres the specs. The shutter speed is roughly 1/100Th of a second, w/ a fixed aperture of f/5.6. The lens just like the entire camera is plastic. The beauty of the camera is that you never really know what you are going to get. This in turn makes you focus on composition and lighting rather than worry about shutter speed, focus, etc.

Because of the way the lens is shaped and how close it is to the film plane most of your images are going to get a beautiful vignetting effect around the frame.

I strongly suggest you purchase one they are only $20 and you can buy an external Holga flash for them for another $8. Do not buy the one w/ the flash in the body because I have heard of batteries falling into the camera body, leaving your negs. with a battery image on them.

The film that it uses is 120 medium format that you can develop yourself or get developed at any descent camera store. You can also shoot 35mm film if you buy an $10 adapter or make one yourself.

Good luck and have fun............

If you want to see some examples check out my website. There is a section called Holga. www.alanwinslowphotography.com

The Holga is an amazing camera!

The holga is a perfect camera for beginners just learning how to compose an image and understand light all the way up to pro's who want an artistic look with traditional film.

Heres the specs. The shutter speed is roughly 1/100Th of a second, w/ a fixed aperture of f/5.6. The lens just like the entire camera is plastic. The beauty of the camera is that you never really know what you are going to get. This in turn makes you focus on composition and lighting rather than worry about shutter speed, focus, etc.

Because of the way the lens is shaped and how close it is to the film plane most of your images are going to get a beautiful vignetting effect around the frame.

I strongly suggest you purchase one they are only $20 and you can buy an external Holga flash for them for another $8. Do not buy the one w/ the flash in the body because I have heard of batteries falling into the camera body, leaving your negs. with a battery image on them.

The film that it uses is 120 medium format that you can develop yourself or get developed at any descent camera store. You can also shoot 35mm film if you buy an $10 adapter or make one yourself.

Good luck and have fun............

If you want to see some examples check out my website. There is a section called Holga. www.alanwinslowphotography.com

The aperture is actually f/8 on couldy setting, and f/11 on sunny setting. Focusing the Holga is kinda hit or miss, as is pretty much everything on the camera. It's advisable to use fairly forgiving film such as Tri-X 400 or Ilford HP5 as your exposure is entirely up to the camera. This camera is not for the control freak.

I got lucky while expirementing with the Holga, I shot 5 rolls and all 5 of them came out pretty well with minimal light leakage and nothing too underexposed. My advice: shoot in relative sunlight and learn good printing technique because burning and dodging will be absolutely necessary. Other than that, they can produce some pretty cool effects. And by effects I mean severe chromatic abberations, strong vignetting and light leaks.

I agree that you should start out with a forgiving film. Once you understand film and light you can use any film and get amazing results.

Slide film can produce great colors if exposed right.

Experiment with every thing. Thats the only way you will find what you like.

Most reactions

Back