Holga Holga Holga!!

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
I decided to do the Holga for my "experiment" assignment in my photography class. I shot 2 rolls that didnt work becuase I didn't have the film counter window properly taped up, but my 3rd roll worked!

I'm shooting 35mm right now, but I am going to do 120 film next time, so that is why there's the sprocket holes. I only had the chance to print 4 of the pictures, so there will be more to come.. I'm really excited about these.. I can see going crazy with Holga..

These were all shot at our local "state park", which isn't much of a park at all. The light was good for reflections though. My personal favorite is the last picture..

holgas4.jpg

holgas3.jpg

holgas1.jpg

holgas2.jpg

Holga is basically a toy camera. Its plastic lens, cheaply made, prone to light leaks, image distortion, abberations, and takes very distinctive photographs. Some people hate them, but the ones that love them, LOVE them. :)

I got mine from www.holgamods.com.. it cost about $30. They have a gallery of photographs there and some more info. There is some veteran Holga shooters around here that probably could answer more questions too.

I think what is becoming wider and wider known as "Holga-photography" in the States is the "Lomography" in Europe, taken with the Russian Lomo-cameras which are equally prone to distorted pictures, leaked light and all that is particular about Holgas, too. But also "Lomography" has become its own branch of photographic art which can be checked out, for example, on this page: http://www.lomographic.net/lomogallery/index.htm

First off these are very nice.. i like the effect. Always wanted to put 35mm film through a medium format camera and make prints with sprocket holes like that. I like the one with the tree best. Did you scan these, or process them in the darkroom?

===

Also, Someone mentioned lomography.com - the problem with "lomography" is that it's just a bunch of slick marketing and way overpriced plastic cameras. I do like the idea of it, but in my opinion you're better off "shooting revolutionary dadaist photographs from the hip without composition or reflection" (or whatever) with a $200 digital camera than wasting hundreds of dollars in film processing for photos that mostly look like crap.

That said, holga's do create a very nice effect - like a pinhole even. I saw a holga pinhole print for sale in a coffee shop last week for $280, bit overpriced I think, but if it can be sold... good on the photographer. It was well presented.

While I have not used holga myself, I have seen some great pictures shot by this toy camera. Among the above lot, 2nd and 3rd are my favorites, effect of light they have created are just too good.

I have been wildly interested in "Sprocket Hole" photo's for some time now. I've just been keeping it a secret until I had some photo's to post! Looks like you beat me to it :blushing:

Nice shots;)

i didn't know you could put 35mm in a holga. how fun! I love the one of the lone tree. very dreamy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back