Holga Question

kreid1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Anyone know of a FAQ for Holga cameras? I just got one and would like some direction on how to use it. I really like the online pics I've seen done with these guys and would like to make some of my own. I bought it from holgamods.com with a bunch of mods on it so I should be good to go on the modifications, just want some direction on producing good photos.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated!

The Holga, to put it simply, is not cutting edge technology. It's basically a roll film camera with an inexpensive lens. Razor-sharp images are not a Holga strong point. So concentrate on subject matter where a slight softening of the image is a plus. If it helps, think retro. Look through old family photo albums. The rest is the classic search for a happy pairing of lighting and composition.

Have fun with the Holga. Don't get too serious. There's a certain delight in getting away from modern cutting edge technology. That's why I can be found wandering around the streets with my Zorki [or Fed or Kiev.]

[No, I'm not wandering around the streets because of Alzheimer's! Who said that?]

Alzheimers can be a good thing. You meet so many new people everyday.

I do not know which modifications your holga has but I would say stick with will lit subjects. Things with large details like bridges ect. Just use my number one rule for photography. Dont worry, just shoot film.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out freestyle and try to just shoot and not take it too seriously. This is just a fun experiment!

I have had good results with 400 speed film with my Holga.

Keep a roll of black cloth tape around, and use it freely to tape your camera back on. It will, in fact, fall off. ;)

Always remove your lens cap and stick it in your pocket when you first head out to shoot. Some people have said "remove it and throw it away!" but I wouldn't do that. Just remove it, shoot with it, and when you've done, replace it.

Have fun! :D

Most reactions

Back