Holga Winter Shots

vandecarr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
w2_1.jpg

w1_1.jpg

Looks great! Holga's are sick and the 35mm mod is so cool with the sprocket holes, GREAT JOB

Thanks, this weekend I'm doing a group portrait of a bunch of kids at church for their website, that is going to be interesting, too!

I'll post the results next week sometime.

Nice work, Mike. I should see if I can modify my Rollei to use 35mm..or maybe one of the old Kodaks I have.

Where abouts were these taken?

they look good , but i'd sort of like to see a crop because i feel like a lot of what makes people say "oh cool!" is just that the sprocket holes are still on there....
the first one looks good, second one seems like if it were a "regular" photo, it'd just be a snapshot and is sort of leaning on the holes to make it look neat... if that makes sense

No Crops for me..that would be following the rules.

Mike's right. It's a Lomo thing but you get what you get with a Holga. Cropping or any major editing would defeat the purpose.

Besides it's true, part of the fascination with this is the way the picture covers the whole piece of film including the sprocket holes and not just a standard little box. It’s an alternative away from the norm.

Thanks for making it more clear Blackdog.

Shorty, my photos are okay to edit and if you would like to do a crop to see what it would look like, I don't have a problem with that.

Post it here so we can check it out, It may be very cool.

Nice work, Mike. I should see if I can modify my Rollei to use 35mm..or maybe one of the old Kodaks I have.

Where abouts were these taken?
Neal, my husband has one of the 35mm kits for his Rollei...amazing engineering, works like a charm! Bought it off eBay, I believe. Fun way to be able to use 2 formats.

Mike: nice shots! Love that full frame, especially on the first one.

well... heres what i got when i played with it a bit... i dont want to go all Maxbloom ;-) on you or anything, but i just always feel like a lot of people use the holga as an excuse to take crappy photos. BUT from what i've saw on this thread, its all in the eye of the beholder. These shots dont do much for me. i find myself lookign more at the sprocket holes and the fact that the scans are a little crooked, than at the actual subject . Like i said, i like the first one, the second one was what made me wonder if you were framing these or just snapping away and not really caring how they turned out. An example of what i'm tryign to explain, would be like if you took an old worn out tv, and decorated the case with all sorts of diamonds and whatnot, but theres nothing but static on the tv. And sure, you could probably put it in an art museum and label it as "modern" and people would love it.

that probably didnt make sense, i have a tendancy to ramble on about these things. Thesis- i feel that many people use holgas as an excuse to stop trying to make good or creative images and just shoot whatevers around just because they think the poorly made body will be creative for them...
(mind you, i also feel the same about pinhole photography in a lot of cases)

anyway-
w2_1.jpg

i feel that many people use holgas as an excuse to stop trying to make good or creative images and just shoot whatevers around just because they think the poorly made body will be creative for them...
(mind you, i also feel the same about pinhole photography in a lot of cases)

I see what you're saying, and I can see why it would seem that way. And yes, I'm sure there are some people who do exactly what you're describing, just like I'm sure there are people who think that dropping a few thousand on a camera and lenses is going to make them a professional photographer. I can't speak for the gearheads, but as far as shooting toy and pinhole cameras, part of the appeal is never knowing exactly what you're going to get.

Most of these cameras don't have accurate viewfinders on them, so you have to be experienced enough with the camera to visualize what will be in the frame, including the angle and the dof. It takes a certain amount of experimentation to achieve that mental viewfinder, so it's understandable that there are a lot of pictures out there that might seem "off." Also, a lot of what seems "off" is just due to the way that particular camera captures the world. In short, I don't think it's about relying on the camera to be creative for the photographer so much as it is the photographer working within (and discovering) the limitations and special properties of the camera, and experimenting to see how those will mesh with his/her particular vision. It's about loving the tools, man.

And sprocket holes are to film photography as impasto is to painting. The medium is evident in the finished product.

Obviously just my opinion, but it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately, so I couldn't help but chime in.

Now that my rant is over: Vandecarr, these are awesome. I love the tree beside the lonely road. It looks very soft and just a little bleak.

I'm sure there are people who think that dropping a few thousand on a camera and lenses is going to make them a professional photographer.

i hope you're not talking about me, or we WILL fight.:wink::lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back