Holiday Bow HDR - My First HDR

A

AMBP

Ok so the bow should have been placed better than what it is, but hey.. This is my first HDR.. :p Got 6 layers merged with Photoshop CS4.. Only exposure and gamma settings messed with using the HDR merge in Photoshop..

30 second exposure average with small tripod and wireless remote. C&C needed on quality and color. Wish the bow was set differently.. Apart from that, I like the outcome.. :) -Oh, and the starbursts were on purpose.. ;)

*Also, a church used this as the main front page bulletin cover.. :p Must not be too bad of a capture! :)

*Canon EOS T3i (600D) Rebel 18MP w/EFS 18-55mm Kit Lens
---Pulling out.. Thanks for your comments and suggestions---

Last edited by a moderator:
I took another look, this composition has a lot of potential. Maybe light the bow a little from the front with a light out of frame. You really got me thinking. I guess I better put up my xmas tree before the wife complains. Inspiration is a foot!

As posted, it seems dark to me. Makes me feel gloomy instead of cheery. But that's just me.

My first thought is that it's a little busy.
My second thought is it is sharp and has nice processing.
My third thought is the composition is lacking

My first thought is that it's a little busy.
My second thought is it is sharp and has nice processing.
My third thought is the composition is lacking
Ah.. That second thought made me smile.. :) 'Cause I know the rest wasn't that great.. Just shootin' various angles on an already extremely busy tree.. :p When you say 'composition', do you mean the overall layout or scene in the photo?

*I took this photo with no other lights apart from the tree and its lights. The family was asleep and I didn't feel like turning all the lights on around me to get any better lighting. No excuse, I know.. I coulda' shot when they were awake. But tell me, for that kind of situation, with that kind of lighting or lack of lighting, and being a first HDR.. Is the quality good? I followed a tutorial online that I read before I got my camera a few months ago. Didn't even go and try to find it again. Just went based off my memory.. :p I learn better by trying it out and pushing buttons.. :p Anywho, thanks for the replies.. Much helpful :)

AMBP said:
Ah.. That second thought made me smile.. :) 'Cause I know the rest wasn't that great.. Just shootin' various angles on an already extremely busy tree.. :p When you say 'composition', do you mean the overall layout or scene in the photo?

*I took this photo with no other lights apart from the tree and its lights. The family was asleep and I didn't feel like turning all the lights on around me to get any better lighting. No excuse, I know.. I coulda' shot when they were awake. But tell me, for that kind of situation, with that kind of lighting or lack of lighting, and being a first HDR.. Is the quality good? I followed a tutorial online that I read before I got my camera a few months ago. Didn't even go and try to find it again. Just went based off my memory.. :p I learn better by trying it out and pushing buttons.. :p Anywho, thanks for the replies.. Much helpful :)

The "quality" of the photo is fine. I think finding interesting angles/compositions that evoke thought and different feelings is the challenge beyond the technical aspects.

I can measure water, flour and other ingredients with exacting precision... that doesn't make me a baker.

Pau1 said:
I can measure water, flour and other ingredients with exacting precision... that doesn't make me a baker.

Metaphorically speaking ;)

I like the composition, but the bow seems to get lost in the shadows.

Just curious. Why HDR on a photo like this? There doesn't seem to be a lot of EV range in the scene other than the lights. I was just wondering what you were trying to accomplish using HDR that you couldn't do with a single exposure.

The photo seems a little dark to me. Maybe doing an HDR with a +1 or +2 exposure compensation might make things pop a little more. Or maybe doing an HDR with a series something like 0, -3, +1, +2. I'm thinking the -3 (or maybe even -4) might tone down the lights and the + values brighten up the overall photo.

Yeah I don't think this is a correctly done HDR shot, it's nice but your range is still pretty low. Also CS5 is horrible at HDR so I'm assuming CS4 is as bad if not worse. I haven't played around with photomatrix yet but I hear that is on the top of the choice list.

Yeah I don't think this is a correctly done HDR shot, it's nice but your range is still pretty low. Also CS5 is horrible at HDR so I'm assuming CS4 is as bad if not worse. I haven't played around with photomatrix yet but I hear that is on the top of the choice list.

I like Oloneo PhotoEngine for HDR and I agree with your comment on CS5.

Most reactions

Back