Holiday Session Advice

Bkg529

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm new here, and was hoping for some advice for my Holiday Sessions on Sunday.

They are outdoor sessions at a local preserve. Last year I brought props to the location with me, so it became more like a studio like session in the outdoors. I wasn't thrilled with this for two reasons, one being that the lugging of everything became cumbersome and interfered with the spontaneity of capturing "moments" and the emotion was lost and I feel like the artificial components took away from the location and the subjects.

I have never done a shoot completely propless and fear that in doing so I will rob the session of its holiday theme. I'm nervous that the clients will be expecting props and more bells and whistles.

So I am looking for some advice on what I should bring with me that won't be cumbersome (Last year I had a wagon that I pulled filled with ornaments, fake snow, holiday themed decorations) to the point that it interferes with my ability to shoot spontaneously and takes time away from focusing on the clients. Or should I just abandon the prop idea all together?

I appreciate the help. I am basically an experienced amateur that is still learning so much, but have a small following of friends and referrals through friends. I am working on developing my photographic sense of self and confidence, but since I have a full time job and have limited time to devote to this love of photography that I have developed, it becomes tough.

Abandon the props. They detract from an image anyway and start to shift the focus to the props. The image should be about the subjects.

Bkg529 said:
Hello,

I'm new here, and was hoping for some advice for my Holiday Sessions on Sunday.

They are outdoor sessions at a local preserve. Last year I brought props to the location with me, so it became more like a studio like session in the outdoors. I wasn't thrilled with this for two reasons, one being that the lugging of everything became cumbersome and interfered with the spontaneity of capturing "moments" and the emotion was lost and I feel like the artificial components took away from the location and the subjects.

I have never done a shoot completely propless and fear that in doing so I will rob the session of its holiday theme. I'm nervous that the clients will be expecting props and more bells and whistles.

So I am looking for some advice on what I should bring with me that won't be cumbersome (Last year I had a wagon that I pulled filled with ornaments, fake snow, holiday themed decorations) to the point that it interferes with my ability to shoot spontaneously and takes time away from focusing on the clients. Or should I just abandon the prop idea all together?

I appreciate the help. I am basically an experienced amateur that is still learning so much, but have a small following of friends and referrals through friends. I am working on developing my photographic sense of self and confidence, but since I have a full time job and have limited time to devote to this love of photography that I have developed, it becomes tough.

I personally allow my clients to make open choices. I so studio with and natural environment work.

This is the sort of thing that should be covered in your pre-shoot consultation. Suggest Christmas-themed clothing, Santa hats, etc. As MLeek said, you want the focus on the people, not the cool stuff you brought!

Like tirediron says, consult with your clients (friends or family, whoever they are!) beforehand to see if they even want props in their photos. It might depend on how they plan on using those pictures; if they're for Christmas cards, it's quite likely the card will be "Christmas-y" enough. Besides, you never know what sort of natural props you might find at the preserve. Best of luck!

Most reactions

Back