Hollie

TJPhotoGuy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First shot I've looked at from a session with Hollie, a very sweet girl just starting out, makeup by Roccio. The lighting/etc. was a beauty lighting setup I use a lot:

Image_0638.jpg

As usual, CC&C welcome, thanks

The contrast is much too harsh for me. It's blowing out the highlights and super-saturating the colors.

Yes, completely intentional; this is a creatively-overexposed beauty shot. I'm suprised you've never seen a shot like this, they're quite popular right now. The contrast wasn't even adjusted very much, this was overexposed intentionally from the get-go. Contrast was bumped in photoshop by about +5.

well, one can argue about liking or disliking the super-contrast, .. I think in some way it might add to the image in this case.

However, over-contrasting sometimes can intensify uneven lighting, and not just features of the face. In this case, to me her right (ok, from her point of view her left) eye appears darker than the other eye.

It is a small effect, but really disturbing for me.

In this case, to me her right (ok, from her point of view her left) eye appears darker than the other eye.

You are correct in that there is a shadow side to her face; this of course helps in producing the three-dimensionality of the photo. otherwise the lighting would be considered "flat." This was a very slight butterfly lighting setup, as can be seen by the slight shadow under her nose (the nose often tells the lighting pattern). There was also a kicker model left rear, hence the slight highlight on the hair model left...

Again this was done mostly in camera, the contrast was only bumped a bit, as is done in almost every image of course. Shots like this seem to come in and out of style, right now they're quite popular. So I give em what they wantz! :)

I think the lighting suits the look of the model in this photo. Makes her red lips and eye makeup stand out vividly.

I think the lighting suits the look of the model in this photo. Makes her red lips and eye makeup stand out vividly.

I agree, that was the whole goal of this shot. This was part of a model portfolio, and often a beauty shot like this showcasing the model's face with great makeup is a requirement of many agencies, especially with the hair slicked back like this. I specifically called upon slight, fairly flat butterfly lighting ala a classic beauty style shot to accomplish it, just like you see in many Avon books etc.

I personally don't think this lighting is very flattering to her face. And I wish there was more light in her eyes.

Well you're entitled to your opinion; I disagree, this is a classic beauty shot from lighting to lighting ratios, everything. Again for a beauty shot like this that showcases the model's facial features with great makeup, based on my experience this is the ticket.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Here's another one from this shoot:

Image_0724.jpg

Nice shots. The first one, although a bit unnatural, does make her complexion look flawless. I bet they do it in glamour magazines all the time.

Who's the client? The girl? If so, I bet she is happy. That is what counts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back