Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Please... all comments welcome.

Holly.jpg

Canon 10D; available light

Very good picture. She looks so comfortable and natural. Skin tones look right on, the little bit of shadow on her face works well with me. A perfectly lighted subject can be over rated at times IMO.

I was wondering about the background, it somehow looks like the picture was taken in a studio some how. The background has an unusual quality. Not that I do not like it because the fall colors and dof really adds to the picture.

Did I say I really like this picture? :)

A very pleasing subject :). You have captured the pleasant feeling very well. I like the burnt soft background.

Looks like a 50mm shot; or is it not? :scratch:

Cruzin said:
I was wondering about the background, it somehow looks like the picture was taken in a studio some how. The background has an unusual quality.

Thanks! No... it's just a very deep background and has warm, direct, late-day sun hitting it. That's why it's yellow. Maybe too you're seeing what I believe is called the "circle of confusion." I'm sorry... I can't really explain why it occurs in optics, but have seen it all my life. I will actully repeat the shape of the aperatue. So, if you placed a lightning bolt shaped piece of black tape on a UV filter, you'd get lightning bolt shaped highlights in the specular highlights.

Thanks again!

-Pete

I love this photo. Extremely natural, relaxed smile and I think the riding gloves add a really nice touch as well. I really like the tones in the background, very warm and inviting.

danalec99 said:
Looks like a 50mm shot; or is it not?

Gee... I don't know! This is my first digital camera, and my first zoom lens. It's a 24mm-85mm lens. In the past, I would nearly always use a "twice normal" lens for individual portraits. So, for the 6x7, I used a 180mm. For the 6x4.5, I used a 150mm.

So, I suspect that I backed up and zoomed all the way, but I agree with you... this looks closer to normal focal lenght.

Thanks for your kind words.

-Pete

Christie Photo said:
Maybe too you're seeing what I believe is called the "circle of confusion." I'm sorry... I can't really explain why it occurs in optics, but have seen it all my life. I will actully repeat the shape of the aperatue. So, if you placed a lightning bolt shaped piece of black tape on a UV filter, you'd get lightning bolt shaped highlights in the specular highlights.
Circles of confusion are circular patches of light representing each point of light on an object which, overlapping, make up unsharp images. If the circles are small enough in diameter then the eye accepts them as points and the image appears sharp (approx. 0.25mm seen from a distance of 250mm).
As you move away from the plane of focus (in either direction) the circles of confusion get larger, so things get more out of focus.
To make out of focus highlights take on a specific shape you would have to make the aperture that shape (or have a hole that shape as near to the aperture plane as possible) - not stick a shape in front of the lens. But the effect is minimal unless you have specular highlights against a dark background - and then lens flare can become a problem.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back