Holy ****atauke Mushrooms! Some Questions About my Temporary Toy

Yes the focus ring WILL work in AF mode, but not advised. It can damage the teeth inside the mechanism. It is best to just switch to MF if that is what you intend to do.

He's talking about a USM focus mechanism. They were designed with full-time MF in mind.

No problem. I believe he meant the older versions, but USM systems are designed to have continuous MF.

Well Again, I have the 70-200 f4.
I have used the focus ring in AF, and found alot of resistance in it. Personally, I wouldnt reccemed useing it is AF mode. Just haveing personal experiance with things of this kind (and being an auto mechanic and gun nut) I have learned not to force things that dont like to move freely.

I'll answer anyway...

1) The IS modes depend on whether you want to be able to pan... IS 1 covers everything (vertically + horizontally), IS 2 only vertically
2) Infinity focus. It's pretty straight forward. :) Focus at infinity... focusing from whatever distance to infinity.
3) 1.4m-infinity means that the lens will seek focus for the full focus range of the lens (1.4m is minimum focusing distance for the 70-200mm) and 2.5m-infinity just means it only searches past 2.5m
4) Unless the lens is an AF/MF and then -> MF lens, you shouldn't turn the focus ring without setting it to MF first. If the lens has the AF/MF option, you can autofocus and manual focus at the same time (not stopping it while it's autofocus is running, of course, ie, the ring is turning)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back