Holy crap....shooting my first wedding today!!!!

Love this one!!!

From this:

DSC_0402-1.jpg

To this!!!

DSC_0402copy.jpg

Hey Kai ... congrats on your first wedding. I just booked my first one as well, to be in three weeks. I must ask, after everything done and over ... what advice can you give as far as, looking back, realizing what you forgot to do, and what you would have wished you did?

Thanks ...

Hey Kai ... congrats on your first wedding. I just booked my first one as well, to be in three weeks. I must ask, after everything done and over ... what advice can you give as far as, looking back, realizing what you forgot to do, and what you would have wished you did?

Thanks ...

Low apeture is great for when they are standing still and you are doing the portraits, but if you can try to use a wider one during the ceremony so that everything is in focus and blur in PP if you want the DOF effect. I missed focus on a bunch because I was trying to get the bokeh effect and had it at f3 a lot.

Things happen quickly so make sure you are paying attention, especially during the ceremony. I was taking a photo of the Maid of Honor one minute and before I knew it, they already had put the rings on each others hands. Be alert as to what is happening with the B&G more than the bridal party. After you get the 'classic' shots, then work on everyone else.

BRING A FLASH. I would have been so screwed without my SB-600, especially in the tent we were in after the ceremony. I bounced it off of the ceiling of the tent so it wasn't super harsh and it worked just fine.

Think about the PP while you are getting the shot, what kind of effect you want to go for with it and frame accordingly.

It is okay to crop. Get everyone in the entire frame with room to spare around them so nothing gets cut out. That is what I can think of for now. Lol

I was having trouble with the white balance, we were getting ready in a bathroom with this disgusting yellow light and no matter I changed the WB to it wouldn't go away.
I hope you're shooting in RAW.

Love this one!!!

From this:

To this!!!

DSC_0402copy.jpg

Oh hellz no. I'm all in for artistic differences, but the work on this one takes a so-so picture and makes it worse.

The selective colouring is tacky. Use selective colouring as a tool to draw attention to important parts of an image... so while my brain says that the people are important, your selective colouring is saying that the flower is.

Her bouquet is not only selectively coloured like his flower, but its blurry! So on one end you are saying "hey, focus your eyes here on the bouquet" but at the same time you are saying "dont mind me, I'm blurry and unimportant".

Her dress was already blown out in the original colour image. The way you converted it it makes it look even more blown out.

There is way too much processing blurryness.

Sorry, but this image is a huge no for me.

Thanks ...

Low apeture is great for when they are standing still and you are doing the portraits, but if you can try to use a wider one during the ceremony so that everything is in focus and blur in PP if you want the DOF effect. I missed focus on a bunch because I was trying to get the bokeh effect and had it at f3 a lot.

Things happen quickly so make sure you are paying attention, especially during the ceremony. I was taking a photo of the Maid of Honor one minute and before I knew it, they already had put the rings on each others hands. Be alert as to what is happening with the B&G more than the bridal party. After you get the 'classic' shots, then work on everyone else.

BRING A FLASH. I would have been so screwed without my SB-600, especially in the tent we were in after the ceremony. I bounced it off of the ceiling of the tent so it wasn't super harsh and it worked just fine.

Think about the PP while you are getting the shot, what kind of effect you want to go for with it and frame accordingly.

It is okay to crop. Get everyone in the entire frame with room to spare around them so nothing gets cut out. That is what I can think of for now. Lol

Good info ... thanks!!!

Love this one!!!

From this:

To this!!!

DSC_0402copy.jpg

Oh hellz no. I'm all in for artistic differences, but the work on this one takes a so-so picture and makes it worse.

The selective colouring is tacky. Use selective colouring as a tool to draw attention to important parts of an image... so while my brain says that the people are important, your selective colouring is saying that the flower is.

Her bouquet is not only selectively coloured like his flower, but its blurry! So on one end you are saying "hey, focus your eyes here on the bouquet" but at the same time you are saying "dont mind me, I'm blurry and unimportant".

Her dress was already blown out in the original colour image. The way you converted it it makes it look even more blown out.

There is way too much processing blurryness.

Sorry, but this image is a huge no for me.

The whole image other than their faces is blurry on purpose. I added a slight Gaussian Blur and a zoom blur on it. Oh well though, photography is very subjective and I definitely respect your thoughts!! :)

I printed this out and gave to the bride this morning, she loved it so in the end that is all that matters.

I got the editing style straight from a tutorial by a pro wedding photographer...I dunno, I love it.

And yes...I ALWAYS shoot in RAW.

wow, really? Can you link up that tutorial? I'm curious to see for myself.

I really do not understand why the flowers would get selective colouring and yet be hit by the blur.... :/

And remember, just because its out there on the internet, doesnt make it good. And just because someone calls themselves a pro, doesnt make them one.

:)

Thanks for taking my opinion for what it is :)

Well, if this was your first wedding, I actually don't think they are bad. It's definitely not something I'd be happy delivering to my clients, but I'm at a different place in my career. My first wedding probably wasn't this good (I can't remember it though). The main thing I found myself wondering in many of your photos is "what is the story being told?". Remember that you are visually telling a story, and every image should tell it's own little sub-story. Numbers 6-9 (both 9's), 13 & 14 all leave me wanting more story value. With 1 & 2 I understand wanting to capture details, but these leave me cold. A buttonhole? Really doesn't say anything to me. And with no. 1, I think it would have more implact with some other element of interest (champagne glasses in bg; wedding program under the box; flowers beside the box; etc.). It's just too plain of an object for it to hold interest by itself.

Well, if this was your first wedding, I actually don't think they are bad. It's definitely not something I'd be happy delivering to my clients, but I'm at a different place in my career. My first wedding probably wasn't this good (I can't remember it though). The main thing I found myself wondering in many of your photos is "what is the story being told?". Remember that you are visually telling a story, and every image should tell it's own little sub-story. Numbers 6-9 (both 9's), 13 & 14 all leave me wanting more story value. With 1 & 2 I understand wanting to capture details, but these leave me cold. A buttonhole? Really doesn't say anything to me. And with no. 1, I think it would have more implact with some other element of interest (champagne glasses in bg; wedding program under the box; flowers beside the box; etc.). It's just too plain of an object for it to hold interest by itself.

First: BigTwinky...here you go [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReQthhKHVz0&feature=related[/ame]

The focus of my tux photo when I was taking it wasn't so much the button hole. I was going for the lines, the colors, and the pattern of it. I thought it looked neat, I was playing with the DOF with the lens I was renting.

For the shot of the favor box, should have gone with flowers. Champagne glasses, there were none. Shot glasses. Wedding programs? Not present. Wedding for 60 people, low key, not an expensive wedding by any means. They wanted to keep it cheap and simple. The wedding favors were all made by hand by the bride, as were the center pieces and the bouquets and guys' vest pieces. But I do thank you for the compliment in the first sentence. These are far from being done with the editing process. I am still trying to tweek everything to make them a little better. I have another wedding in 29 days to shoot so I am doing a LOT of research and trying to get everything just right. Next wedding is about the same, low key, low budget, quick ceremony outside for about 75 people, indoor reception in a banquet hall.

Still trucking along with these edits...Now I see why photographers get paid so much. Lol. Only 400 more to go

DSC_0126copy.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

The off the scale whites of the dress are what caught my eye. It is a tricky situation, but try shooting a little dark so you have something you can work with in curves.

The off the scale whites of the dress are what caught my eye. It is a tricky situation, but try shooting a little dark so you have something you can work with in curves.

I am definitely going to try that for the next wedding. Her dress at least will be off-white!

Well I am FINALLY done editing! Just adding some finishing touches with Noiseware Pro. I can honestly say, now I see why photographers get paid so much. It's not the taking of the photos, it is all the time spent editing! Here are a few more that I revamped.
(I know they are mostly black and white, but these are almost the only black and white ones in the group)

DSC_0663.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0319copy.jpg

DSC_0225copy.jpg

DSC_00921.jpg

Most reactions

Back