Holy crap....shooting my first wedding today!!!!

KAikens318

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will post pics as soon as I get home tonight but man am I nervous!!! I rented a Nikkor 105mm 2.8 AF-S VR lens for the occasion in case of low light on top of all the other lenses I own, I have my tripod and monopod, batteries all charged, memory cards clean, and SB-600 with diffuser ready to go. I am hoping that I do everything right and can make sure I get the best photos possible! Wish me luck, photos to come soon! :D:mrgreen::D

Good luck. Don't stress too much about it, just go do what you do and have fun.

The wedding was awesome. :) Here are some of my favs, C&C if you like. I still have over 900 to edit.

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0103-1.jpg

DSC_0193-1.jpg

DSC_0210-1.jpg

5 (Trying out the Ocean's Eleven type walk herer)
DSC_0417.jpg

Some seemt o have white balance issues, might be my monitor though.
Mainly #4, she looks like a purple zombie.

#2 has a bit too much blurryness at the bottom for me...it attracts my eye more than the focus part

#3 would of benefited with more light in the back

#5 is a cliche shot, but you did it very well. I do it sometimes as well. :)

I also like #8...nice bouquet shot

#9 and #10 dont do much for me. I love candid shots, but there is a lack of something of interest. Even when doing candids, you need to look for an emotion, an action or something that is interetsing. People often think candid is just shooting randomly, but I find it really hard to pull off great candid shots.

Some seemt o have white balance issues, might be my monitor though.
Mainly #4, she looks like a purple zombie.

#2 has a bit too much blurryness at the bottom for me...it attracts my eye more than the focus part

#3 would of benefited with more light in the back

#5 is a cliche shot, but you did it very well. I do it sometimes as well. :)

I also like #8...nice bouquet shot

#9 and #10 dont do much for me. I love candid shots, but there is a lack of something of interest. Even when doing candids, you need to look for an emotion, an action or something that is interetsing. People often think candid is just shooting randomly, but I find it really hard to pull off great candid shots.

Lol, I knew that was a cliche shot but it is so them it's not even funny. Especially the guy on the left (best man) he loves hamming it up for the camera.

I was having trouble with the white balance, we were getting ready in a bathroom with this disgusting yellow light and no matter I changed the WB to it wouldn't go away.

Does this copy work better for the "zombie" one?

DSC_0209.jpg

I had such a fun time shooting this wedding. Really made me feel like I finally found what I am supposed to be doing. :) Only 700 more photos to edit!

A few more after some more editing. Still have about 300 to go

DSC_0618.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

I know they are not up to most of your 'professional' standards, but I am still learning. I learned a lot just from this wedding and in the end the B&G are loving the photos that I have shown so far. Some day I will be as good as the rest of you on here, but for now, still learning. :)

I find that your exposures are off. Seems that the dress is blown out in many images (not all of it, but enough of it to notice). Its hard to properly expose the scene when you have one person in black and the other in white. If you have to chose which to expose for, go with the bride.

10- the light is too harsh, too bright

11- cute, too center composed. Get her face off center. Looks a little too fake as well. dont ask her to smile, MAKE her laugh

12- not bad at all. Although when you ask them to kiss, dont ask them to go full blown kiss...else you get squished face like this

15- same as 11..way too centered. I can understand this shot if you were trying to get the whole arch in the shot, but you are not. You have them in center of the frame with very little space below and way too much up top.

Overall...watch the exposure, get more interesting in the image, more emotion and GET THEM OFF CENTER! :)

I find that your exposures are off. Seems that the dress is blown out in many images (not all of it, but enough of it to notice). Its hard to properly expose the scene when you have one person in black and the other in white. If you have to chose which to expose for, go with the bride.

10- the light is too harsh, too bright

11- cute, too center composed. Get her face off center. Looks a little too fake as well. dont ask her to smile, MAKE her laugh

12- not bad at all. Although when you ask them to kiss, dont ask them to go full blown kiss...else you get squished face like this

15- same as 11..way too centered. I can understand this shot if you were trying to get the whole arch in the shot, but you are not. You have them in center of the frame with very little space below and way too much up top.

Overall...watch the exposure, get more interesting in the image, more emotion and GET THEM OFF CENTER! :)

I was finding that to be the hardest part, exposing for the dress. The camera just did not want to do it. Lol. I think I needed to change my metering mode perhaps. I was on matrix, should I have done spot or center instead?

That might work. :)

Put it on spot, set up something at home and try it out. Or head outside and find something bright that has something dark in the same frame and spot meter each, then evaluative meter... test things out.

But I dont think I've ever shot on matrix for any style of shooting I've done.

are these all post editing?

reason i ask, and this may come off as harsh, and i will pre-apologize for it...
they all seem to lack the "pop" that i typically see in great wedding shots.

i think (and i may be driven back under my rock for saying so) you may be able to push the editing a bit to get some more out of these photos. even if its just some simple little adjustment, or a little vignette to draw attention...i dont know...i could be WAY off here.

i booked my first wedding for april, so im really paying attention to all these wedding threads.

i hope i havent offended. that was certainly not my intention.

i booked my first wedding for april, so im really paying attention to all these wedding threads.

Quick hijack....
Congrats! Cant wait to see what work you come out with. :) (I'm being serious here too)

sorry to continue the hijack...
thanks bt. im already way nervous and hoping i can deliver. i have images in my mind of what ill be after. i will def post for C&C and a good bashing :lol:

back on topic :hugs:

lol...make sure to scout your location and if its your first, head there with someone and practice some.

The hardest thing to get used to is the hectic pace of a wedding, and how noithing goes as planned :)

are these all post editing?

reason i ask, and this may come off as harsh, and i will pre-apologize for it...
they all seem to lack the "pop" that i typically see in great wedding shots.

i think (and i may be driven back under my rock for saying so) you may be able to push the editing a bit to get some more out of these photos. even if its just some simple little adjustment, or a little vignette to draw attention...i dont know...i could be WAY off here.

i hope i havent offended. that was certainly not my intention.

No, no offense taken at all! I was thinking the same thing actually. I am going to spend tonight looking over some Photoshop tutorials to see what I can do to make them pop a little more. I am really new to the whole Photoshop thing, so I am still trying to figure out curves and dodging and trying not to over saturate everything (Although in this case that is what the couple wants)

Gl with your first wedding!!! I have another on October tenth. I am leaving the 105mm 2.8 VR behind this time and bringing my 18-105mm VR and my 50mm 1.8 instead. I was really not impressed with the 105mm 2.8. I am not a fixed zoom person. lol

Perhaps like going from this:
DSC_0125-1.jpg

To this?

DSC_0125-2.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back