Vieri

Fine Art Landscape Photographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The Cornish Coast fast became one of my favourite destination, with its amazing rock formations and ever-changing skies. A 32-seconds exposure, taken at sunset at Holywell Bay with my Hasselblad X1D, Hasselblad XCD 30mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters

X1D1_01244.jpg

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

Lovely image. I am always curious about long exposures, so how did you arrive at 32 seconds?

WesternGuy

Wow! That is an explosion of light!

Thank you very much Dean, yes it was an amazing sunset! :)

Love that sky!

Thank you very much indeed Jeff, glad you liked it! :)

Lovely sky..........

Thank you very much Jeff! :)

Yeah, looks like a bomb has gone off! great job!

:D Luckily it didn't! Thank you very much Pete!

You smashed it as always Vieri! Beautiful.

Thank you very much indeed, most kind! :)

Lovely image. I am always curious about long exposures, so how did you arrive at 32 seconds?

WesternGuy

Thank you WesternGuy, glad you liked it! :) About your question, if you mean technically, through the use of a ND filter; if you mean "why 32", to determine the length of my long exposures I decide according to the conditions, speed of the wind / cloud or water, depending on the subject matter, and so on. Here I thought that 32 seconds would give the clouds a pretty good movement effect, while retaining some shape in them. Hope this answers your question!

Best regards,

Vieri

Great clouds, beautiful light.

[Thank you WesternGuy, glad you liked it! :) About your question, if you mean technically, through the use of a ND filter; if you mean "why 32", to determine the length of my long exposures I decide according to the conditions, speed of the wind / cloud or water, depending on the subject matter, and so on. Here I thought that 32 seconds would give the clouds a pretty good movement effect, while retaining some shape in them. Hope this answers your question!]

Vieri, thanks for the explanation. It is just that 32 seconds seemed a bit strange to me. If it had been me, I would probably have chosen 30 or 35. Everyone is different, so did you try any other exposures? Just curious as I am here to learn.

WesternGuy

Absolutely great work.

Beautiful sky great color.....

Thank you very much, glad you enjoyed it! :)

[Thank you WesternGuy, glad you liked it! :) About your question, if you mean technically, through the use of a ND filter; if you mean "why 32", to determine the length of my long exposures I decide according to the conditions, speed of the wind / cloud or water, depending on the subject matter, and so on. Here I thought that 32 seconds would give the clouds a pretty good movement effect, while retaining some shape in them. Hope this answers your question!]

Vieri, thanks for the explanation. It is just that 32 seconds seemed a bit strange to me. If it had been me, I would probably have chosen 30 or 35. Everyone is different, so did you try any other exposures? Just curious as I am here to learn.

WesternGuy

Oh, I see what you mean :) The choice of 32 seconds is determined by the way the Hasselblad X1D meters: they go the "correct" doubling way, rather than the "rounding" doubling way, so to speak. So, after 1, 2, 4 and 8 seconds, you don't get 15, 30, 60 and so on like on most cameras, but instead they chose to go for 16, 32, 64, 128, and so on... ;) Incidentally, as you know to gain one stop of light you gotta double the time, so the difference between 30 and 32 seconds is effectively non influent (as from 32 to 35), so whoever way a camera manufacturer goes the result are pretty much the same, even though the Hasselblad way is "correct" and theoretically should result in more precise exposures.

Absolutely great work.

Thank you very much indeed! :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Last edited:
Vieri, thanks for the explanation - I understand now how you got to 32 seconds. Interesting "comment" on the way equipment works. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back