Home Reno

I removed a wall between a bedroom and pantry then added a new eat in kitchen last year. The thing with old houses around here are most weren't built to code so I had to take up the floor and re-frame. Same with the ceiling joist. I saved myself $20,000 by doing most everything but plumbing and electric

i-bfV3pGc-M.jpg

I needed to finish before our Christmas party. I actually finished the day of, adding kick plates under the cabinets
i-GPmF7sL-M.jpg
Nicely done Mike. I generally do everything but the finish work myself. Plumbing & electrical is easy, but getting a paint-ready finish on drywall, or cabinets properly hung? THAT, I will pay for! :lol:

Thanks. In MA homeowners can do everything but electric and plumbing.
Huh... that would be annoying. BC allows you to anything to your own home except connect gas.

I had been doing my own plumbing and electrical up to now, but hired a plumber and an electrician for this project.

I do the demolition, framing, insulating, drywall, paint, tile, and finish carpentry because I couldn't afford to hire all that done.

I had been doing my own plumbing and electrical up to now, but hired a plumber and an electrician for this project.

I do the demolition, framing, insulating, drywall, paint, tile, and finish carpentry because I couldn't afford to hire all that done.
There comes a point where you need to say 'Uncle' for sure.

I really don't enjoy doing it. I have a roofing and siding company and get enough during my work days. But savings are the only reason I do it. Plus I've used a circular saw for 30 years and never had an issue then working on my own house I almost lost a finger. Cost me 6 weeks of work.

I really don't enjoy doing it. I have a roofing and siding company and get enough during my work days. But savings are the only reason I do it. Plus I've used a circular saw for 30 years and never had an issue then working on my own house I almost lost a finger. Cost me 6 weeks of work.

I enjoy doing it. My career is spent as a social bug, so doing this type of thing when I spend my working hours not lifting a finger is much of a relief. My circular saw and I have a really healthy relationship. I love that thing.

Oh! Can you help me with sourcing a metal roof? I can only find a handful, and I'd like to get it soon.

Nice looking floor job, @IronMaskDuval. I do all my own remodeling work, inside and out. I was in the flooring business for 35 years before I got lung disease. Now I live through other pros and DIYers at The Floor Pro Community, my own forum. We have pros from all over the world helping each other and the consumers/DIYers who want to do their own jobs.

Jim

Nice looking floor job, @IronMaskDuval. I do all my own remodeling work, inside and out. I was in the flooring business for 35 years before I got lung disease. Now I live through other pros and DIYers at The Floor Pro Community, my own forum. We have pros from all over the world helping each other and the consumers/DIYers who want to do their own jobs.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Your forum will come in handy once we start making our own floors. The guy that built my home laid particle board over ply for a subfloor, and I am going to change it to osb before I tile my kitchen. I'll ask on your forum, but can I skip the osb and lay down a 1/2" hardie board instead then pour a self leveler? I've seen some self leveler rated for osb, but I don't want to waste the money by doing osb then a backer board if I can go straight to the backer board on top of the 3/4 ply.

Backer board helps with bonding and other issues, but does not add strength to the floor. OSB is not as good as plywood for strength. The only time you need self-leveling cement (SLC) is when you have serious issues with flatness. You prob'ly mean floor patching compound to fix some irregularities. But yeah, ask on the forum and get the advice of some great tile pros. I never did tile.

Jim

I really like renovation, but I never have any money to work with! :(
I have found a lot of super great deals on Craig's list! :)

Most reactions

Back