Home studio. Complete list. Advice much appreciated!

I agree, now I'm leaning towards getting this kit: FP320MPWK Flashpoint 320M Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit, with Two 320 Monolights,9.5' Stands,Umbrellas, Snoot and Carrying Case.

I'm confused by what you said about the wireless triggers, though: "The will work with wireless triggers that have a cable output. The Flashpoints jacks are 1/4" mono.. so you would need that and whatever your triggers take." So it will need a cable? The flashpoint monolight says that it has built in slave. What kind of trigger will work on them?

That is it... however, I would recommend buying without that stand, and buying better stands with broader bases, and more height. The will work with wireless triggers that have a cable output. The Flashpoints jacks are 1/4" mono.. so you would need that and whatever your triggers take. These are much more powerful than hotshoe flashes.. and much easier to adjust! Plus they have modeling lights.. which can be helpful. Plus you can use larger (better) softboxes, umbrellas, and brollys with them. They are also excellent optical slaves!

You can get heavy duty Flashpoint 9' stands for around $30-40... they are very stable.

The Slaves that are built in are optical.. they need to see a "FLASH" to go off! So you need at least one flash going off to set them all off. The wireless triggers usually have a cable plug.... you use a cable that has the correct plug for the triggers on one side, and a correct plug for the flashpoints on the other. I use pocket wizards.. so my cable has a 1/8" mini mono plug (not a stereo plug) on one end.. and a 1/4" mono plug on the other end for the Flashpoint. Like this Amazon.com: Hosa CMP303 1/8 Inch Mono M to 1/4 Inch Mono M 3Ft: Musical Instruments

I don't know the triggers you are getting, so have no idea what cable you need.. you will need to figure that out! Hope that helps! :)

Gotcha. The one that I am considering has 1/8" mono mini-phone also. That was super helpful. Thanks!!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sekonic L358 meter

Sekonic L358 meter

+1 I LOVE mine, used it today during photoshoot at a ladies house. Which is nothing new, I use it every time I set up at a strange place or balancing outdoor ambient with strobes.

Amazing how much time it saves setting up the lighting/camera fstop. It pays itself off FAST.

she said!
bigthumb.gif

forget the Cactus, get PocketWizards.
Deck your L-358 with the RT-32 module. You can trigger and meter at the same time..wooowooo
and forget the vivitar, try to find a nice used Dynalite pack and head.
I agree 6ft lightstands waste of money.

Most reactions

Back