@ home studio

lucki85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What would you think is the smallest a room could be for an in home studio? Not for professional pictures or anything...but just for my own personal enjoyment:D I have a really big space that is unfinished that EVENTUALLY we will be making into a studio, but right now we have at least 1 big project ahead of that, so at the earliest this wouldn't happen until the end of summer..maybe. I honestly can't wait that long. I want it tomorrow. Anyway we have a spare bedroom which I have set up as a classroom right now (I homeschool), but we never work in there. I am thinking it could work temporarily, but It might be too small. Let me know what you think, and I will run up and take some measurements. Thanks!

Okay its 11 ft long X 7 foot 5 in wide....what do you think?

Mine is 10 X 10 and in my basement, but I have a nice 18-50mm quality lens that lets me have good results. I can do up to 2 people portraits, and play with everything from macro to commercial to those 2 people full body portraits if needed (but thats pushing it a little).

Basically, if it is almost big enough to fit a ping-pong table, I feel its ok for a starting point. Ideally, in my next house, I will dedicate a 1/2 basement to it. My problem now is that I use a LOT of the basement for my 12 computer network and SAN and music hobby (mini sound studio).

I need to reorganize... lol

Thanks for the response Jerry....When I'm in there, it feels like it might b e just enough room. Def. length wise, but I'm a little worried width wise. Anyone else have any advice/ experience with this size room? My concern is the placement of lights etc....I know I wont have a problem with the distance I have to shoot. Thanks!

Depends on what your shooting.... if your shooting jewelry or something small... then you could almost use your bathroom... if your shooting people... full body shots then you want something closer to say 10x10 or larger... if your shooting cars.... then I would say not to do that in your house....
I am actually doing the same thing with my new house... I am using my dinning room/living room... its a bigger house than I need so I am moving my living room up stairs to a big bedroom...
Good luck!

ohh and the taller the ceiling the better....

Well I definitley don't plan on shooting cars inside :lol: I plan on shooting my children 7, 4, and 15 months. After a lot of thinking today, I *think* I will be okay, I am just going to have to wait and see what happens after I get my lighting set up. The ceilings are 10 ft so I should be great there! I think I will be able to make it work temporarily. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back