Home studio

Thru_These_Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My family wants to do single portraits for all of us 6 kids for Fathers Day, and its going to give me the perfect chance to set up my first mini studio. Where is the best place to get the equipment, and what exactly do I need to start with? I have the tripod and the backdrop. What types of lights, and where do I get strobes at?

Welcome to the forum.

What experience do you have and what exactly do you want to set up? You could get great portraits with just a window or you could set up 12 lights.

Do you want to use portable (battery powered) strobes or do you want more powerful studio (pug-in) strobes?

What's your budget?

Plug in strobes can be expensive and there is no such thing as too much power.

In the studio I frequent, I use Speedotron 2400W strobes and powerpacks. Those can run up to $2000-$4000 depending on how many lights you get. That's not including reflectors, umbrellas, softboxes, gridspots, C-Stands, Light booms, cords, and all that other stuff you'll need.

Plug in strobes can be expensive and there is no such thing as too much power.

In the studio I frequent, I use Speedotron 2400W strobes and powerpacks. Those can run up to $2000-$4000 depending on how many lights you get. That's not including reflectors, umbrellas, softboxes, gridspots, C-Stands, Light booms, cords, and all that other stuff you'll need.
Your studio being a school with a very large budget correct. This is why I suggested ABs.

alienbees are damn sexy!

I'll go ahead and make the other standard suggestion. http://strobist.blogspot.com

If you're just getting started, and mostly doing family stuff right now, you can go a long way for about $200 (less if you already have the flash).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back