Homemade Lightbox, D7000, White balance question

It looks more like a metering/lighting issue to me.
You're photographing little reflective things on bright white... the camera is going to want to underexpose by ~ 1-2 stops.

This is the first image with only pushing the exposure 1 stop.
But if your lighting is constant (predictable) why are you using AWB when SOOC images is your requirement?

Not sure what you mean by this?

I tried using the PRE wb feature and it was turning my images even more blue. Not sure why. I made sure to fill the entire frame with white posterboard when I took it.
If the image is underexposed it will appear "bluer"... IMO, that's your main problem. As for the WB setting, you can use a reference image of the white paper as "pre" (custom WB) or one of the settings in the camera that matches your lighting.

It looks more like a metering/lighting issue to me.
You're photographing little reflective things on bright white... the camera is going to want to underexpose by ~ 1-2 stops.

This is the first image with only pushing the exposure 1 stop.
But if your lighting is constant (predictable) why are you using AWB when SOOC images is your requirement?

I tried using the PRE wb feature and it was turning my images even more blue. Not sure why. I made sure to fill the entire frame with white posterboard when I took it.
If the image is underexposed it will appear "bluer"... IMO, that's your main problem. As for the WB setting, you can use a reference image of the white paper as "pre" (custom WB) or one of the settings in the camera that matches your lighting.
Underexposure shouldn't make the image appear "blue". A white sheet of paper, underexposed, should simply be grey if the WB is correct. The blue comes from the incorrect WB, something that is hidden by boosting the exposure.

Underexposure shouldn't make the image appear "blue". A white sheet of paper, underexposed, should simply be grey if the WB is correct. The blue comes from the incorrect WB, something that is hidden by boosting the exposure.

That was what my understanding of it was.

Yes, but neither of the example images measure particularly blue... especially the first image. I used "bluer" as that is how the OP referred to it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back