Honduran Dog and Cat

Aquamojo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
forum.aquamojo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took these while on a fish collecting trip in Honduras. We stopped at a local family's home to get water. Both of these two critters looked as if they were wary of visitors.

Catb.jpg

Dogb.jpg

Both of these are nicely composed, great color, etc. but IMO they share the same faults, there is way too much space around the real object of interest and (again IMO but vehemently) the copyright notice is very distracting.

That little girl dog looks frightened but very cute!
Yes, I agree with The_Traveller in so far as both photos could do with a good deal of cropping, and afterwards you'd still see a fair amount of context they were taken in. Wall texture/colour, wooden door and rusty hinges look good in the second photo and provide a nice, additionally interesting context. Only right now, with the girl dog right in the middle of your frame, I feel there is too much context there.

maybe somthing more like this is what they are talking about. I tried cropping to center the dog, but when I was looking at the picture you can see how he has moved his rear leg and looks ready to run away, so I left a little more room on the right because it just looked wrong(to my eyes) with more room on the right it looks as if he has somewhere to run to.

of course this is just a quick edit, if it were mine I would probably spend much more time and try some different crops to see what worked best for me.

Dogb-1.jpg

First of all, thaks for the feedback. I have the copyright information there becasue I had given the photos to other individuals on the trip who will use it during various presentations...and on their website. I do it so credit is given to the correct photog.

As for the editing....I'm still not on board with that. I like the excess around the subject. It gives a sense of isolation...how empty their existence was where they lived. IN particular the little dog. He was that close to the wall that he was actually propped on a small ridge that was next to the door.

Again...thanks for the input. It's appreciated.

Mo

Very nice expressions on both animals, very emotive. I agree with Corinna and The_Traveler on the cropping though. I see your point about the extra space and isolation, but if that's what you're going for, I think you'd need a bit more emtpy space.

I see your point about the extra space and isolation, but if that's what you're going for, I think you'd need a bit more emtpy space.

+1, For the dog, you're kinda in the "no man's land" of empty space so to speak, a little more or less would work but as it is, it's a little disorienting. The comp on the cat actually is okay, the tail trailing off to the left helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back