Honest C&C please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of angry people in here...

I think it's the weather... or at least here the weather sucks... thus making people angry.

To the OP.

I like the pics! I agree with the slightly tighter crop on the photo. But the post work looks pretty good! Are you strictly using PP or any other programs?

josh

No anger involved, just an unwillingness to participate when the conditions aren't correct for my tastes.

I would however be very interested in what any of the reviewers can say about the sharpness and detail of the images.

The shot of the two of you seated on the bench, with the setting sun and the cityscape behind is very nice. Romantic, evocative, moody, beautiful.

The photo size issue is going around today; the 800-pixel long dimension suggestion is counterproductive as far as showing actual lens sharpness, or photographer technique, but the board is set up that way; we have one poster who constantly harps on the 800-pixel limit, day after day after day. But honestly, I am running 2560 x1600 on a 30 inch screen, and that size of an image looks puny. Stuff at 600 pixels long looks downright diminutive.

As far as these pics, I like the PP you've done--looks okay. I saw my niece's engagement photos last night,posted online on MySpace, shot by a "photographer", a 31 year-old MWAC, and her work was absolutely,totally cvap. Garbage....so these are significantly better than that, so consider yourself lucky!

If you do do another shot, I would try more natural poses. It seems they are a little staged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of angry people in here...

I think it's the weather... or at least here the weather sucks... thus making people angry.

To the OP.

I like the pics! I agree with the slightly tighter crop on the photo. But the post work looks pretty good! Are you strictly using PP or any other programs?

josh

What do you mean? PP = Post Processing = anything you do to a picture once you get it on the computer.

At least, that's what I thought it meant.

thanks a lot.
Image about 1000 pixels would have been fine but these are a great size.

Of the second set.
interesting composition, particularly in light of the idea that the couple is engaged. The vertical and horizontal lines of the window are very close to square and could be transformed to make them perfect if desired. The conversion is very handsome although his jacket would provide more interest and wouldn't be a black hole, if it wasn't quite so dark. The columns are vital to get the subjects off the margin and, unfortunately, the column on the right is totally burnt out and will always be a distracting bright bar that would distract on any print.

2. very nice, nice composition, good use of DOF, nice intimate pose. I would vignette the corners slightly to keep the viewer eye's on the couple. Printed on a grainy or watercolor paper will be a great shot for any album.

3. This will be a real memory shot to treasure. Recognizable profiles, limned by the sunset, closely interacting. Yes, one sees lots of shots like this but this one is a success - helped by the attractive profiles. I would consider cropping it to 4 x 5 removing ~equal amounts top and bottom and make the composition tighter. You don't need that extra half inch each end.

4. Eliminate this. It is dramatically OOF, underexposed with lots of ugly flare and says nothing but 'mistake.'

thanks a lot.
Image about 1000 pixels would have been fine but these are a great size.

Of the second set.
interesting composition, particularly in light of the idea that the couple is engaged. The vertical and horizontal lines of the window are very close to square and could be transformed to make them perfect if desired. The conversion is very handsome although his jacket would provide more interest and wouldn't be a black hole, if it wasn't quite so dark. The columns are vital to get the subjects off the margin and, unfortunately, the column on the right is totally burnt out and will always be a distracting bright bar that would distract on any print.

2. very nice, nice composition, good use of DOF, nice intimate pose. I would vignette the corners slightly to keep the viewer eye's on the couple. Printed on a grainy or watercolor paper will be a great shot for any album.

3. This will be a real memory shot to treasure. Recognizable profiles, limned by the sunset, closely interacting. Yes, one sees lots of shots like this but this one is a success - helped by the attractive profiles. I would consider cropping it to 4 x 5 removing ~equal amounts top and bottom and make the composition tighter. You don't need that extra half inch each end.

4. Eliminate this. It is dramatically OOF, underexposed with lots of ugly flare and says nothing but 'mistake.'

Thank you for the critique, but I'm confused as to which of these required full size photos. You said nothing of sharpness or anything warranting 100% resolution (which those are). Thanks for the words regardless, I will keep them in mind.

oh, and also, I cropped all of these to 4X6 because I plan on getting prints of all of them. I know some of them feel a little strange, but I did the best I could with the side ratio.

Last edited:
ok thanks for commenting on exactly what I said not to.

robertwsimpson said:
I didn't think that was needed... and people complain if you post big pictures... I guess they complain if you post small ones too. They're all on my flickr. If you want to see them in detail, check them out there. Otherwise, comment on what you can see.

I'll comment on what I see - you're kind of a **** for someone asking for people to comment on others photographs.

Anyway, this whole thread has been reported since it's clearly against the rules - you know, posting photographs that you didn't take.

Also, this is a photography gallery, not post processing - please post it in the right place next time, Princess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robert, there are rules here about posting photos you didn't take yourself.

Dmitri, there are also rules about the language used towards other members

Please try to work with the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back