horse portraits and strobe stomping (text only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

notelliot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
erm, I've got another silly idea for a weird photo. My mom has one of the most skittish horses I've ever seen. literally afraid of his own shadow.

I want to take advantage of that, and use multiple strobes to (kind of) scare the hell out of him and get some quirky poses and expressions. the thing is, he's also one a very large horse.. 19 hands (for those who don't have a horse.. 19 hands means that he is as tall as 19 human hands stacked palm to finger tip.. or is it side by side..?). I'm insuring my strobes because he will most likely stomp on a few. BUT, I was wondering what I might be able to do to prevent that.

I want to have 3 or 4 SB800s in the grass, by his feet. 2 will be placed at the far end of his pasture (mainly to scare him into coming back when he runs away from me initially) and I want some at his chest level on stands.

I know I will lose at least 3 or 4 of my strobes. what do I do? insure and replace, or scheme some sort of housing that he could kick and bite and stomp on?

thanks!

note: the horse is a big dog, so I don't find it cruel to tease him like this. Once he realizes that he won't be hurt, he'll up the bar and want to play with me. THAT's when he'll stomp on my strobes.

Last edited:
Firstly, there can be no excuse for scaring an animal just to get a photograph.
Secondly, are you going to be honest with the insurance company and explain exactly what you intend to do and that you expect at least some of the gear to be destroyed?
Thirdly, just maybe the horse will come after you instead of the gear.

pft, i get scared by people just for fun all the time. its just a horse. im sure hes cool with it.

I know I will lose at least 3 or 4 of my strobes. what do I do? insure and replace.

There is another name for this it is called insurance fraud!
Insurance will not cover your lights if you knowingly put them in a situation where they will be destroyed.

Other than it being unethical and illegal, consider the fact that if your insurance company does cover them, your rates are going to go up, or they may drop your policy. If they drop you good luck insuring your equipment in the future.

You don't need to flash the horse to scare him. Just raise your hand over your head. All horses spook a little at that and "skittish" ones will freak out. If he doesn't react to a single hand carry a closed umbrella with you. ;)

There is another name for this it is called insurance fraud!
Insurance will not cover your lights if you knowingly put them in a situation where they will be destroyed.

Other than it being unethical and illegal, consider the fact that if your insurance company does cover them, your rates are going to go up, or they may drop your policy. If they drop you good luck insuring your equipment in the future.
yeah, that's a good point. hadn't thought of it that way. it may be more logical to buy some cheap vivitars.
or scheme some sort of housing that he could kick and bite and stomp on?
thanks for being hostile about it, though.

Scaring a 19 hand horse and worried about the lights - I would be far more concerned about myself!

I can't and won't condon scaring an animal for shots - heck I know we have all flashed wildlife at times (if you have ever shot in the dark you will have - unless you shoot with infrared) but to do as you describe I think is a great mistake.

note: the horse is a big dog, so I don't find it cruel to tease him like this. Once he realizes that he won't be hurt, he'll up the bar and want to play with me. THAT's when he'll stomp on my strobes.

if he is like this then why not play to start with - I am sure there might be some sort of game or event that he can enjoy whilst letting you get the shots you are after. If not then get a chair and spend a day or two -- or as long as you can -- just sitting and watching and see what you get (and whilst sitting there and being very bord you can play around with some other shots ;))

erm, I've got another silly idea for a weird photo. My mom has one of the most skittish horses I've ever seen. literally afraid of his own shadow.

I want to take advantage of that, and use multiple strobes to (kind of) scare the hell out of him and get some quirky poses and expressions. the thing is, he's also one a very large horse.. 19 hands (for those who don't have a horse.. 19 hands means that he is as tall as 19 human hands stacked palm to finger tip.. or is it side by side..?). I'm insuring my strobes because he will most likely stomp on a few. BUT, I was wondering what I might be able to do to prevent that.

I want to have 3 or 4 SB800s in the grass, by his feet. 2 will be placed at the far end of his pasture (mainly to scare him into coming back when he runs away from me initially) and I want some at his chest level on stands.

I know I will lose at least 3 or 4 of my strobes. what do I do? insure and replace, or scheme some sort of housing that he could kick and bite and stomp on?

thanks!

And some people call horses Dumb animals. :irked: Don't suppose you happened to ask your Mommy what she thought about the idea did you. :?:

Oh by the way there "Horse Wisperer," hands are measured from the bottom of the little finger side of the hand to the top of the thumb side of the hand with the thumb laid out flat.

The easiest way to not worry about you strobes getting smashed is to not act like a 5 year old and torment animals. Then they don't get stepped on. :raisedbrow:

And some people call horses Dumb animals. :irked: Don't suppose you happened to ask your Mommy what she thought about the idea did you. :?:

Oh by the way there "Horse Wisperer," hands are measured from the bottom of the little finger side of the hand to the top of the thumb side of the hand with the thumb laid out flat.

The easiest way to not worry about you strobes getting smashed is to not act like a 5 year old and torment animals. Then they don't get stepped on. :raisedbrow:
lol, yes, I discussed this with my mommy, and due to the character of the horse, she wasn't opposed.

I did not mean to be hostile about , but better a hostile post on the internet and an eager isurance inspector looking to make an example out of you.
The reason I didn't see it at first as insurance fraud is because I'm not planning to break the strobes. I'm setting them up close to a horse as per my lighting sketch, not the vulnerable points in the set. So, IF there were a chance they got stomped, I'd like to A) be comfortably insured or B) have my strobes securely protected from hooves.

The more I think about this the less I like your idea ( and I was less then not liking it to start with )

A flash from a camera at a skittish horse will send him bolting - surrounding him with flashes and repeated flashes is going to drive him nuts - and then there is a real chance he can injure himself - make a break and leap the fence - leap a bush - bolt right for you - bolt for the gate and go right into it.

I think it better not to attempt this at all..

If - however - you are dead set on going on with this WHICH IS A VERY BAD IDEA then I VERY STRONGLY urge you to have someone familiar and who the horse trusts nearby to calm him down - its the very least you can do.

lol, yes, I discussed this with my mommy, and due to the character of the horse, she wasn't opposed.

Just goes to show that the horse has more character ( and sense) then either you or mommy.

Then make it a truly interesting shot. Put Mommy on the back of the horse and then take the shot. Or better still use a remote and both of you get on the back of the horse and take the shot. Make it a truly spectacular shot with no saddle, reins or halter and lead before you get on the horses back. I bet the the scared as hell look will be funnier on you two than the horse.

Last edited:
You know having had horses if you did that to one of mine, you wouldnt need to worry about the horse. Id stomp you.

This is a horrible idea.
It is a cruel act to ANY animal, no matter his overall character.
It should never be done.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back