Horse Show Photography

AQHAWP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to start my career in the photography business. Particularly at horse shows. I have a small budget to begin with so I have decided that I am going to purchase the Canon Rebel Xsi. My question is about lenses. I would absolutely love to buy the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS but unfortunately it out of my budget. I am looking at purchasing a 70-200mm f/4L (is Image Stabilization a must?) and are there any other lenses that I can start off with that will work for what I want for the time being until I can afford the purchase of a better lens?

The horse shows consist of Pleasure shows of horses on rail and NBHA (National Barrel Horse Association) shows.

Well first of I would say your not going to be able to just think you can start a career in photography if you're just starting. It's not just buying a nice camera and you have a job. I don't know if IS is a must because you will generally be shooting at fast shutter speeds to stop the action but 2.8 will probably be a must if it's going to be indoor or low lighting anywhere. I would say learn the basics before even thinking about a career and just get the xsi or t1i and a 50 1.8/1.4 and then save for the 70-200 2.8. GL
tj

Rent until you can purchase. If you make enough selling these images at the show (think Laptop, quick turn around or just sell CD's direct with images and charge on a per image basis) then it will offset the lens rental.

Check out www.lensrental.com or www.prophotorental.com

I have been using ProPhotoRental for a while for dance photography until I was able to afford a 80-200 2.8. On top of only spend ing $70 something for a weekend (of which I more than made back at the competitions) I got the 70-200 2.8 VR, which would be the equivalent to your Canon 70-200 IS

Unless shooting outside, you're not going to be doing so good with less than 2.8 glass

Good Luck!

~michael~

Rent until you can purchase. If you make enough selling these images at the show (think Laptop, quick turn around or just sell CD's direct with images and charge on a per image basis) then it will offset the lens rental.

Check out www.lensrental.com or www.prophotorental.com

I have been using ProPhotoRental for a while for dance photography until I was able to afford a 80-200 2.8. On top of only spend ing $70 something for a weekend (of which I more than made back at the competitions) I got the 70-200 2.8 VR, which would be the equivalent to your Canon 70-200 IS

Unless shooting outside, you're not going to be doing so good with less than 2.8 glass

Good Luck!

~Michael~

Personally, I have a lenses with IS and lenses with wider apertures. I much prefer the wider apertures. They allow for more artistic expression with a narrower DOF. But you might want a wide DOF, so IS will help. Keep in mind that you only use it handheld, so maybe you want to invest your money in a lens with a wide aperture and a good tripod.

I know a LOT of people like good photos of their favorite horse... good luck with your business
N.gif

N.gif

Invest in a monopod also. It's not fun to stand with a couple pound lens and body for ANY extended amount of time

~Michael~

I would purchase a "fast" lens that would work well in horse arenas. My suggestion for a starter would be the Canon 85mm f/1.8. It will be light, easily maneuverable, and very sharp, and will allow you to maintain a good distance between your subjects and you.

An f/4 zoom lens and a Rebel is simply too slow of a maximum aperture for any horse arena I have ever been to. The EF 85mm 1.8 is a very affordable, professionally capable lens. No zoom, but it will allow you to make photos the zoom lens simply could not get under indoor, artificial light situations. An f/4 lens will not be able to focus nearly as well as the 85/1.8 under poor lighting conditions.

Thanks for all your input and opinions. I just purchased a Canon 50D instead of the Rebel Xsi. I'm still looking at lenses but I believe I may go with the 85mm f/1.8 and the f/4 IS (I just plan on shooting outdoors for now, so this will work until I buy a f/2.8 IS if need be).

Most reactions

Back