Horse Show Shoot

burdock87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I will be at my mom's horse show in July both to show and to shoot pictures. Can anyone give me some tips on how to shoot good horse pictures; both with and without people? My camera isn't great (but nor is it the worst camera in the world).

First of all, what type of event is this, dressage, steeplechase, a plain show? Next, what is your camera and available lens(es)? Equestrian events generally call for long glass; 200mm+ and more often 3-400mm. As far as tips go, try and shoot with fairly large apertures to minimize background detail and watch for distractions in the scene/background. For moving events I generally follow the horse with the camera and try and anticipate the shot. Good luck!

It's a plain, ordinary show. Halter classes up through riding (western and english) classes. I don't have any special equipment; no fancy camera....just a Nikon Coolpix L110. It doesn't have any interchangeable lenses or anything neat. I'm not sure I can even change my aperture...guess I'll have to dig out my manual and actually read it... o_O Imagine that...actually READING the user's manual that came wtih a new toy...hmm...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back