Hot Links

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Devil's Golf Course - Death Valley
782-hs-r7215.jpg

Abraxas, having seen these wonderful, almost alien, landscapes that you post, I'm warming to the idea that you could, in fact, be one of the Mars Rovers ;)

Seriously though, I always enjoy your work, and this one is no exception.

Abraxas, having seen these wonderful, almost alien, landscapes that you post, I'm warming to the idea that you could, in fact, be one of the Mars Rovers ;)

Seriously though, I always enjoy your work, and this one is no exception.

Thanks. There's really not much else to do other than take pictures.

Awesome shot! Is that stuff tough to walk on?

Thanks. Yes, especially out a ways from the parking lot where they get deep. These salt formations are as hard as rocks. A person's leg will break before one of these do. The parking lot is in the middle of this wonderful mess. The lot and the road to it were part of an old road to haul borax across the valley. The Chinese laborers that built it had to pound it flat with sledge hammers, flat enough to roll 20-mule team wagons across it.

really nice
really weird!

Thank you.

Another fantastic landscape. This is one of those images that would benefit tremendously by being large...

I agree. There's a lot of detail in the mountains beyond as well as in the salt crystals up close.

Thanks Roger.

Exceptional tones and execution and I agree that this might benefit from being larger.

My only criticism of this one might be that your images are always so harmonious front to back but this one ... my attention keeps jumping from the foreground patterns to the background white mountain. I generally step back (lean back) to look at your landscapes but this one seems to keep me from focusing on the image as a whole.

On the grand scheme of things, that's a minor nit pick because I'm drawn to interest points even when my attention to the image is divided.

Very nice. Although the brightness of the foreground makes it hard to concentrate on.

edit: maybe it's just my laptop

Beautiful, as always with your work.

Thank you.

Exceptional tones and execution and I agree that this might benefit from being larger.

My only criticism of this one might be that your images are always so harmonious front to back but this one ... my attention keeps jumping from the foreground patterns to the background white mountain. I generally step back (lean back) to look at your landscapes but this one seems to keep me from focusing on the image as a whole.

On the grand scheme of things, that's a minor nit pick because I'm drawn to interest points even when my attention to the image is divided.

Thanks for your comments. The original size is quite nice. Due to past issues with posting any larger than 800 pixels width, this is as good as it gets.

Very nice. Although the brightness of the foreground makes it hard to concentrate on.

edit: maybe it's just my laptop

Thank you.

This has got to rank among my personal favourites from your work.

The horizon is perfectly even, yet my eyes seem to feel that there's a slight tilt to the right. I'm guessing you didn't shoot this one perpendicular to the road but slightly looking to the left. If so, I suppose you did it to better capture the light/shadows/texture?

Really, I can't stop looking at it.

This has got to rank among my personal favourites from your work.

The horizon is perfectly even, yet my eyes seem to feel that there's a slight tilt to the right. I'm guessing you didn't shoot this one perpendicular to the road but slightly looking to the left. If so, I suppose you did it to better capture the light/shadows/texture?

Really, I can't stop looking at it.

Cool! Thanks.

As far as I can tell, the thing is dead level. It must be something with the bajada on the right pouring out of the canyon that gives it the look. I had a bit of distortion from the wide angle in the center, but the valley is so flat it didn't seem to be much of a problem. I triple checked it before I saved the result. I tried to cath the radiating shadows from the left horizon to the right and toward the bottom, using the salt flats to lead to the left and the clouds and mountains back to the right. If my little strategy worked, the viewer should be quite familiar with pretty much the entire shot before moving on.

Then it has to be because the left-hand side is darker than the right-hand side, maybe due to the way the light hits the salt formations I guess. The effect is kind of Escher-y, gradually going from darker to lighter, left to right.

That, or I am just losing it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back