Hot tips for WEDDING photography

Don't be afraid to move around. I ask ahead of time if the B&G want me to "stay in the back" or if it is ok for me to get right up front. Being small I can fit behind the bridesmaids and capture the B&G from the ministers side of the ceremony. I am in the isle as they are coming down it shooting while on my knee (to be less obvious and for a nice angle). I do use the 75-200 lens so I'm not in their faces, but still get great close ups of the ceremony from a respectful distance.
There are tender moments you really want to capture - dad and his daughter talking alone before they go down the isle, son and mom as she pins on his flower.
I look through bridal magazines and collect the pages of the shots I want to incorporate into a session. Shots like rings in the boquet and close ups of the hairpiece are nice. One shot that has been requested a couple of times is a B&W of the groom on his knee as if proposing to the bride.
I am so just an amatuer, but like you guys, really enjoy what I do.

I just published my first book on wedding photography through Amherst Media - "Wedding Photojournalism | The Business of Aesthetics"

My book focuses more on devising a solid business strategy, developing your brand, SEO for your web site, contracts, packaging, and how to consult with prospective clients.

If you're interested in going pro and possibly earning six figures a year as a professional wedding photographer - it's an incredible resource book.

Rochester Wedding Photography Toronto Wedding Photography Ontario Wedding Photography

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
AlisonPower said:
Meet with the couple a few time and do an engagement shoot to get to know them. You're going to be spending their whole day right by their side so a good rapport is essential.

I agree. I like to meet with them in person a minimum of 2 times before the wedding, and I always point out that a benefit of an engagement or bridal portrait session before the wedding day will help them become more comfortable with me as their photographer.

Good point. I'm just thinking of diving into shooting wedding and didn't really know where to start from this perspective.

My biggest concern about weddings is one of the biggest differences between shooting them (or any event) and virtually any other type of photography. With weddings (or most events), there are no second chances. For example, when you miss a shot in a portrait session, you can likely recreate the moment. But with weddings, that's generally not an option. You can't just ask the bride to re-throw the bouquet or have a do-over when it comes to the cutting of the cake. Then there's the possible issue of a "bridezilla" to consider too.

So far nobody has talked about equipment. Heres my take, you'll need a 70-200mm for the ceremony, a 24-70mm for most everything else and keep a 50mm handy for portraits where you have the ability to move around.

So far nobody has talked about equipment. Heres my take, you'll need a 70-200mm for the ceremony, a 24-70mm for most everything else and keep a 50mm handy for portraits where you have the ability to move around.

I've actually gotten by for a long time without a 70-200mm. I am a huge fan of my 135mm f2.0 in place of it. Better image quality and a full stop faster. I can either crop or back up if I need to zoom much more than that. I actually use all prime lenses to capture my weddings (with the exception of my 16-35mm VR).

For any beginner in wedding photography I always suggest that its important to take the big picture into account while simultaneously taking care of minute details as well. Both aspects go hand-in-hand. And good wedding photography is never at the cost of either.

Enjoyed reading tips by everyone.

In high MP cameras you will find so many settings. Some main things to consider: Always set the mode according to weather and lighting of the place. If you have enough lights then no need of flash. Some wedding photographers are very popular in Glasgow because of their knowledge in photography. My uncle is a wedding photographer named <SPAM Deleted> and he has given me the vast knowledge of photography and related things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few tips I've come across:

Leave an impression for future business.

Give a gift to the couple either shortly after booking the wedding or perhaps leave a gift at the wedding.
At the end of the wedding night, say goodbye to not only the couple, but the bridal party and couples' parents - lasting impressions for future referrals
Offer a bonus for couples that refer you and get you more booked weddings

Most reactions

Back