Hourglass

I missed this one before - it's a wonderful composition. I would agree you got as good an exposure as could be had with such contrasty lighting from top to bottom.

The bottom part is very rich and beautifully colored. I don't know that I'd have called it an hourglass, but love the mirrored image effect, regardless.

Nice work! :D

I love it... The front leaves look fantastic. Actually. I think the whole thing is fantastic... Great Shot!!

The one thing I would suggest is if you could have had the sunset right in the middle bottom portion then it might have made it look even more like an hour glass. It would give it a "sand" pouring down the hour glass effect. Anyway just a suggestion. I don't know if it would make the picture better though.

Thanks Terri, and Terri! :p

Harpper, if I could have the sunset where I wanted it in every picture, I'd be a millionaire :p To be honest, that's not even the sun that you see there. I can't be, because that river runs north and south. I'm not sure what it was. Something reflecting the sunlight perhaps.

Digital Matt said:
Harpper, if I could have the sunset where I wanted it in every picture, I'd be a millionaire :p
Yes, I should have said...if it were possible. My suggestion was the first reaction to your picture when I saw that weird orange object at the "point". I did forget to mention that your exposure is really good because there is a lot of detail in the sky and river. The scene is peaceful to look at. I also like how there's rocks and leaves in the river because it adds some character.

I know what you meant Harpper :) I was just kidding. I just printed this photo on one of those Fuji machines in a drug store, just to see, and it looks great. I'm fond of the 6x8 size. It looks very good matted in an 8x10 frame.

Very nice. A good example of an image that works very well with the horizon in the center.

Digital Matt said:
vonnagy said:
if you you had overexposed the sky, you would have just had a huge white space going down the middle- having the trees a bit darker is a much better trade off!

That's the tradeoff. Gotta expose for the highlights with digital photography :)

Tripod! Take two shots (w/o moving anything) one exposing for the sky, one for the shadows. Combine in photoshop.

Love it as is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back