How accurate are online shutter counts

Camera shutter count lifespans are only a rough estimate endurance. Some cameras will fail well under the expected (and where they do its generally a warranty repair) and some will never seem to fail. The moving parts will take wear and tear with any use and when they eventually give out is going to vary.

That said yes less shutter counts is generally superior to more when it comes to second hand dealing; the theory being that a camera with less wear and tear has potentially more of its lifespan ahead of it. Unlike cars camera sensors don't generally get regular service checks and replaced parts - the most is you might have the camera recalibrated and the sensor cleaned; otherwise the shutter will keep going with the very same parts it was made from until those parts fail.

That said whilst there is a limit I'd say shutter count should be like keeper rate- nice to know but not something to dominate your shooting otherwise you'll stop enjoying and start counting the shutter clicks.

How many decisive moments in there? Jes' wonderin'.

I never know till I get back to the computer to check the results ;)

There's no point worrying about shutter count or you'll never use your camera

Im not worrying about using my camera. The reason I was checking was I purchased another Nikon D3s as a back up with 3400 actuations. I know the D3s I have the shutter count is way off.

Not that it makes a difference here, but the D200 shutter is rated for 100,000 actuations. My friend's had over 389,000, that was before Christmas... never been serviced either.

The shutter count is semi important at best, and is a good tool for negotiations when buying used cameras. For some people, like me, that never buy anything used, I could not care less about shutter counts of any of my cameras. I shoot them until I decide to upgrade. None of my cameras has ever died. Then again, I tend to use pro quality bodies. (D200, D700, D4)

Most reactions

Back