How am I doing with the Nikon D3200?

Alkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a young photographer and have had the nikon d3200 for 2-3 years now. Almost all the of the photos are taken with the d3200. How do you all think I compare to others that you know with that camera?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Some great photos there. Well done

You've been to some nice places. I would work on your processing, which appears very basic, not exciting, but rather dim, "straight", and well, rather dull. Your images need some corner burns or vignettes, some dodging of important parts, some better and more expanded-looking scene dynamic range, some more SNAP! and vibrance, some more "colored light". Your images are of nice locations, but they do not have much "oomph!". I would work on using some more modern processing tools. Dodge, burn, do some enhancing of the individual colors in some of the shots, add some visual variety.

Your Peru gallery is a good example of your most visually exciting gallery; some of the others, and your B&W work, are just dull-looking. There's no other word for it. Low contrast, muddy, dull, same thing on the majority of the B&W images shot digitally. The world is filled with images taken by people who have money to travel, but that alone cannot make interesting photos. The processing of the images needs a lot of attention payed to setting a black point, and making the images have some local contrast.

Last edited:
You've been to some nice places. I would work on your processing, which appears very basic, not exciting, but rather dim, "straight", and well, rather dull. Your images need some corner burns or vignettes, some dodging of important parts, some better and more expanded-looking scene dynamic range, some more SNAP! and vibrance, some more "colored light". Your images are of nice locations, but they do not have much "oomph!". I would work on using some more modern processing tools. Dodge, burn, do some enhancing of the individual colors in some of the shots, add some visual variety.

Your Peru gallery is a good example of your most visually exciting gallery; some of the others, and your B&W work, are just dull-looking. There's no other word for it. Low contrast, muddy, dull, same thing on the majority of the B&W images shot digitally. The world is filled with images taken by people who have money to travel, but that alone cannot make interesting photos. The processing of the images needs a lot of attention payed to setting a black point, and making the images have some local contrast.
33,364 messages. Hmmm, do you have more photos, or messages here?

33,364 messages. Hmmm, do you have more photos, or messages here?
Derrel has his photographs in his "stash" on p-base, which you can easily see in his signature, but apparently you want him to post on here.

Last edited:
You're taller than some, thinner than others, and your hair is darker than the last D3200 shooter I met. Or, to put it another way, what does it matter how you compare to other photographers using the same equipment? If you want meaningful critique on your work, and want to learn and grow as a photographer, than post a couple of images in a thread for comments & critique ("C&C"). It rather seems to me that all you're trying to do here is draw traffic to your 'site.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP's profile says he is 16 years old. So, it only makes sense that his photographic style is still emerging. This is however, the OP's second post within days, asking that TPF members go off-site and evaluate numerous photos, which really isn't the way things are done here. Being asked to go off-site and then to evaluate several different portfolios in multiple categories, all of which together comprise an entire web site, is not the way things are normally done here on TPF as far as getting C&C, but I do think that approach is okay if one is seeking some type of overview review, or overall C&C or tips & pointers type of comments.

Asking others, "How am I doing," is a perfectly valid approach, as is asking, "So what do you think I might be able to improve?", or , "What areas am I weak in?" and so on. I've been a student of photography for forty years now. I've been evaluating almost every image I see since the mid-1970's. It's pretty easy when one looks at one, single person's collection of photos to spot patterns, trends, strengths, weaknesses, habits, and so on. I think in some ways, for the beginning shooter, like the OP, that overview C&C is in many ways much more valuable than C&C on specific images; having a concrete idea of what one area needs to be improved can be invaluable. Many beginning shooters have specific areas they are not proficient at, such as focusing, or camera leveling, or allotting excessive top space, or hacking things off at weird places. Luckily for the OP, processing is one of the areas that can be learned and improved upon, and which can then be retroactively applied to one's entire archive! Processing issues do not require that all-new images be made! Processing allows old images to be made new again!

Alkey: in our recent conversation, you agreed to stop including a link to your site in your text, as well as have it in your signature. You agreed that you should start posting some of your work here, using the TPF Galleries, by whatever category suited. Whether you post a few images at a time so others can give you an "overview" type of C&C, as is suggested by Derrel, or whether you want some feedback on specific, single images - that is up to you.

However, I see you are continuing to use TPF as a "click bait" site where it's easy to get several people to go to your site and comment here. I've therefore removed all the links as well as the one in your signature - for now.

Please abide by our agreement if you wish to engage the members here at TPF. You clearly are doing some good work, and have received several encouraging, thoughtful comments. The same interaction can be had right here in the Gallery section of this site. Thanks!

Most reactions

Back